1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't load Win7 but can load WinXP, New build, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adnft, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adnft

adnft Thread Starter

Looking for help.
    I've recently completed a new build and can only get WinXP to boot, but not Win 7. First, my components:

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB
    Intel i7 2600K
    Kingston HyperX Ram, 16 GB (KHX1600C9C3K4/16GX)
    GeForce 9500GT (used from prior system)
    Seagate Barracuda 250 GB (from prior)
    Maxtor 500 GB (from prior)
    PS is 630W, not sure of brand off hand

My hard drives were previously partitioned as follows. The Seagate had a primary 100 GB boot partition with Windows 7 and the remainder as a backup partition. The Maxtor has a small 20 GB partition with Win XP (as a back up in case of primary drive failure) with the remainder of the drive used as my main data partition.

Assembly seemed to go fine but on first boot simply went to a black screen after post. I flash updated to most recent Bios and disconnected the Maxtor drive. At this point could get to the boot screen. But, no matter what option I chose (normal startup, safe mode, repair, last known working configuration), it would go to black screen with "Starting Windows," and would either hang here, or sometimes the loading animations with the colored flags would just begin to start and then I'd get a blue screen. When attempting safe mode, I would get a blue screen amidst loading drivers. At this point I put in the Win7 installation disk. Whether I select repair or new installation, it will say loading files then go to blue screen after the "Starting Windows" displayed.

At this point, I stripped the build down to complete barebones (removed graphics card, dropped down to 1 stick of RAM, disconnected all extra USB ports, firewire, etc). I switched over to the Maxtor HD. I went ahead and formatted the WinXP partition (the MBR was messed up) and attempted a reinstall of WinXP. This went just fine and easily booted into WinXP. I then added back in the RAM, graphics card, and extra ports and still booted into XP without a problem. I switched back to the Seagate (Win7), but still found I was unable to boot Win7 with the same hang or BSOD. I again switched back to the Maxtor HD and thought I'd try to format the XP partition and install Win 7 on that drive. After booting from the Win7 CD and selecting new install, no luck-- again it states it is loading files, then goes BSOD after showing the "Starting Windows" text.

I'm stuck- for whatever reason the system doesn't seem to agree with Win7. I'm guessing either a MB or Bios issue? I'm hoping some bright soul out there will have some insight or ideas. Thanks much for reading and sharing any thoughts you may have. Cheers-

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I am not following was this an existing win7 install that you expect to boot with a new mb OR did you clean install win7 with the new board?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice