1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't load Windows update or DirectX 9.0b.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wccROADKILL, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wccROADKILL

wccROADKILL Thread Starter

I can not load windows new updater. Every time I try it just starts back at the start down load page all over again.

I also can't load DirectX 9.0b. It says that I have ver 8.1 . A little box that reads "Software Installation" on the top bar says. The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify it's compatibility with Windows XP.

This software will not be installed. Contact your system administor.

The next little box that pops up says.

"DirectX Setup" on the top blue bar and then below it says. DirectX did not copy a required file.

Any help I can get on this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

2. terryxp

terryxp

Run system file checker...

Start:
    Run:
    type in ... sfc /scannow

3. wccROADKILL

Ok I ran that program. Then it finished and disapeared. Was it supposed to tell me somthing or do you think I might have done somthing wrong?

My system is.
    Windows XP Home
    Intel P4 3.06Ghz
    Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4200 128MB ram 8X AGP
    512MB PC800 RDRAM
    2 40GB ATA 7200rpm MAXTOR HD not yet in raid 0 But will be
    19" M992 Flat Screen Monitor
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy sound card
    24x/10x/40x CD-RW Drive
    40x/24x DVD-RW
    10/100 pci fastethernet nic
    Cable modem

I hope this will help

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The SFC doesn't tell you much. You can see some of what it did in the Event Viewer.

For the logo testing problem, you probably have catalog database corruption.

Go to Start > Run, and type:
    cmd

At the prompt, type these commands with and Enter after each, of course:
    net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc
    exit

See if that helps with the DX installation logo problem.

5. wccROADKILL

Thanks... that got me pointed in the direction I needed. I had to go into (Services) and turn on Cryptographic Services. I had it Disabled and don't know why. Any way I got both the MS updater to work and the DirectX to update. Thanks again for every ones help.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good work. I think people turning off services causes them more harm than good sometimes :D. It is hard to stop thinking like in the 9x days when all those things in the background really did slow things down. People are shutting down services like they were bad or something. But people will start to think "services" instead of "resources" just about the time a new protocol emerges.

7. wccROADKILL

Oh man don't say that! :p I game most of the time on this comp BF1942 DC mod. So most of the services are things that don't relate to what I'm trying to do but as you can see I needed that one :D . Well thanks again for your help. Can I ask you one more thing? My Hardware Wizard keeps finding a printer on my computer when I don't have one hooked to it. Every time I start my computer or the Wizard it pops up 4 found printer screens. Do you have any direction that I should go in to fix this? :confused:

8. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

I don't think making adjustments to Services is so much the problem, as is understanding what it is you are adjusting.

Services has to be one of the toughest things to figure out. You can get lots of advice about configuring Services. But it's one of those things when no one configuration is best for all.

I could tell you what I Disable, or set to Automatic, or Manual...but that would do you about as much good for your needs as wearing my size 38 jacket if you wear a size 44.

It's just something you need to read up on to get a better understanding about. Learn what the Service does before you make a change.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're certainly right about that. I have a gig of RAM and finally decided to leave all the default services in start mode. My CPU idles at between 0 and 1% (since services don't use CPU cycles unless performing a task) and the memory load stays just under 50%. I saw no reason to turn them off, though my 9x days kept coming back trying to tell me I was bogged down.

But everyone has a different requirement for services, depending what they do. Many in this forum have discovered what happens when they turn them off haphazardly or with a poor understanding of the poor descriptions that these services have.

As is usually the case, it is better not to mess with things unless you know what you are doing. MS had some thought process behind what they decided to leave as defaults, most probably some sort of average or the greatest good for the greatest number of people. But it wasn't just a coin toss.

Even our "god of services", Black Viper, may be misled about some aspects of the services idea. He has a reg file on his site that turns all services to automatic. His stated purpose for this was to demonstrate what your computer would run like if all these unnecessary services were left to run.

I couldn't see the slightest bit of difference on this 1.7 GHz. machine.

10. wccROADKILL

Black Viper is where I got my settings. How ever that does not mean that it was in his directions to turn that one serveice off. At idle my cpu usage is 0% but my PF is at 211MB. See heres how I feel in regards to learning more about services. If you want to know more about somthing... It's easier to understand it. I like computers for gaming & Email. That is as far as it goes for me. So when I try to learn about computer details. It's like pulling teeth. I guess it's like going out and learning every part on your car just because you drive it. I've been a Service Manager for a long time and I know that people will work on their own cars but I also know they can't all be car people like my self. So I will chug along and learn as I go. With a little help from folks like you I will make it through. I hope to some day have a fair understanding of my system. That is all I can ask but I will never be a computer person. Thanks for your help and your time. I coudn't do it without your help. See you in the game!

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. That particular one wasn't one of his suggestions.

Well, Im glad it is working out for you. At least if something does go wrong, we know we have a pleasant place to go for help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/227301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice