1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't load XP on HD for Multiboot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DrRonski, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrRonski

DrRonski Thread Starter

Here's a new laptop, Acer Aspire Model 5732Z , preloaded with W7 Premium Edition.
    I want to load XP to dual boot.
    I installed Ntdetect and Ntldr, then partitioned the HD with BCDEDIT.
    When I tried to install XP on the new partition, the boot disk loads the installation files then goes to BSOD, saying, amoung other things, "your computer may be infected with a virus".
    I wiped the HD with Killdisk and tried to install XP on the clean HD - same result.

Is the BIOS set to not recognize XP?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

What is the BSOD error message, the part in the technical information section, usually a stop code followed by 4 Hex numbers, and another line than may give a file name.

Does your XP CD have the proper SATA drivers slip streamed, or have you set the BIOS to IDE/ATAPI mode instead of AHCI?
    Does your XP CD include SP2 or later?

3. DrRonski

DrRonski Thread Starter

My BIOS gives an option to change SATA to Mode AHCI or IDE. Booting on the
    Win XP disk w/BIOS set to IDE Mode doesn't work at all, gives only a blank
    black screen with a cursor '-', (the machine is dead). Booting the XP disk
    in AHCI Mode, after loading XP files into virtual memory, gives the 'blue
    death' screen message w/this 'Technical Information':

***STOP: x0000007B (0xF78DA63C, 0xC0000034, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000,
    0x00000000)

I have purchased a new W7 Pro 64-bit OS which does install properly and allows my LAN to function OK with the other computers in the house, which was my reason for wanting to dual-boot with XP.
    But I sure would love to understand what the problem was / is with trying to load XP on this new machine...

4. DrRonski

DrRonski Thread Starter

Does this sound like the problem:

Check this out (clipped from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA):

Advanced Host Controller Interface
    As their standard interface, SATA controllers use the AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface), allowing advanced features of SATA such as hotplug and native command queuing (NCQ). If AHCI is not enabled by the motherboard and chipset, SATA controllers typically operate in "IDE emulation" mode which does not allow features of devices to be accessed if the ATA/IDE standard does not support them.
    Windows device drivers that are labeled as SATA are often running in IDE emulation mode unless they explicitly state that they are AHCI mode or in RAID mode. Modern versions of Microsoft Windows, FreeBSD, Linux with kernel version 2.6.19 onward,[5] as well as Solaris and OpenSolaris include support for AHCI, but older OSes such as Windows XP do not. Even in those instances a proprietary driver may have been created for a specific chipset, such as Intels.[6]

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

In AHCI mode, the STOP 0x0000007B with a 2nd parameter of 0xC0000034 means it couldn't find a driver. Slipstreaming the SATA driver, or if you have a floppy disk drive, using the F6 floppy method to load the driver should work.

Don't know why it's not working in IDE mode, that should work just fine. It sounds like it was booting from a hard drive with a corrupt boot sector, that will often give the black screen with a flashing cursor, rather than the CD.

6. DVOM

DVOM

What are you planning on using XP for? If nothing to intensive, ya might try VMware Player and load XP as a virtual machine.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Edit: This would eliminate all your driver/hardware problems.

7. DrRonski

DrRonski Thread Starter

Well, my pre-loaded WY Premium was giving me fits trying to integrate the new laptop into my wireless LAN.
    I figured dual booting XP would at least let me solve that problem when I needed to.
    But my new W7 Pro seems to have resolved the problem, although I'm not sure how...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice