1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't locate my power supply information

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Perfuse, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Perfuse

Perfuse Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my video card, but I need to find out what watt my power supply is. It is a Sony Vaio Model # PCV-7752, although when i try and locate the model at www.sony.com It is not listed. I open up my computer sliding off my side panel, yet there is no wattage listed there either. Any suggestions as to how i can figure out what my wattage is?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

If you're unable to find a sticker or any identification on the power supply from examining it while installed in the computer it's possible that the identification may be on a side that is not visible. If this is the case you would need to remove the power supply before being able to identify it.

3. Perfuse

Perfuse Thread Starter

I pulled my power supply out and there was no sticker telling me what the watts are.. any other suggestions? The Model # is a PCV-RX755 series. After further research under help and support for my PC, i found that to be the model #. The # on the back was incorrect for some reason. Also, Sony does not have anything for my power supply on their site either. I also like to point out that, the url for help and support under support information doesnt help either. When i type in the url, i get redirected by AoL, which i find wierd..

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Understood...

Is this a store bought PC , not a home build?

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Got the picture of the power supply...and it isn't cheap....cannot makeout clearly but looks to me to be 360-400 watts

Attached Files:

6. Perfuse

Perfuse Thread Starter

Store bought.

Ive also just recently spoken with Sony online chat support, and they cannot tell me what my wattage is, other than their macro replies such as: Sir, open your computer and physically look at the power supply and/or remove the power supply, which I have already done. So, no help there. :(

7. Perfuse

Perfuse Thread Starter

Just noticed your post right before my reply..

Yes, after searching Google for a little while. I came to a few other posts of people having concerns about the same PC, and not being able to find what Watts it has on the power supply.

8. arturoh1

arturoh1

You aren't the only one Perfuse. I have a Sony vaio PCV-RX 752 however on the back side of the computer on the UL purple colored sticker it states model # PVC-7752. I spoke to sony online and they told me same to open my computer, no information there either. I even called Delta Electronics and they wouldn't give me the wattage either and redirected me to call Sony what a joke that was. Still can't find the wattage information and any help would be greatly appreciated.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

Is there a number on the unit such as;

1-468-710-11
    1-468-601-14
    1-468-601-21
    1-468-601-22

The Sony part # should be MJPC270A1

I looked for one of these units previously and if I recall correctly their rating was about 270-280 watts max.

10. arturoh1

arturoh1

Thanks win2kpro you were correct (MJPC270A1 # 146860122). I removed the secondary cover around the PS unit and there was the information. I have another question, I would like to upgrade to a better video card (PNY GeForce 7600GS 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X 12pipe) or (XFX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X 12pipe). Can I still use the same power supply? In addition, my vaio has a ASUS P4S266-VX motherboard.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

Can you provide a link to the cards you are considering?

12. arturoh1

arturoh1

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

PNY specs call for a 300 watt PSU MINIMUM. I was unable to find the power requirements for the XFX card at either Newegg or the manufacturers site, but I guess it would be about the same.

Whether either card would run well with the PSU you have, I honestly don't know. The PSU in the SONY is relatively expensive (about $160). My concern would be that either of these cards MAY POSSIBLY over stress the PSU causing it to fail. If the PSU failed, it COULD POSSIBLY take out other componets such as the motherboard, memory, etc.

This is a decision you must make for yourself. Maybe others will respond to this thread with different opinions.

14. arturoh1

arturoh1

I figured such, however can I upgrade the power supply unit?

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

You would have to pull the PSU and take some measurements. The PSU is SONY proprietary and as I recall when I was researching this some time ago a standard form factor PSU would not fit the case.

Volume manufacturers make items proprietary so that you are locked in to buying replacement products from them at inflated prices. Many mass produced machines have very little upgradeability.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice