1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't log in to hotmail,facebook or any secure sites

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by omseif, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. omseif

omseif Thread Starter

the title got it all..this is my problem...whenever i try to log in to any secure site like facebook ,hotmail or whatever ..i get a blank page or a timed out msgs...i :mad: faced this fatal problem before and i formatted my pc for it..don't wan't to suffer this again...

its urgent please..

2. steven1350

steven1350

Use a different browser. There are plenty of free ones out there, like Firefox, Netscape, Opera, etc....

It could be a problem with interent explorer. I would recomend that you try firefox Click here. If that doesnt solve your problem, then try a re-format

3. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello try resetting all security options in your browser back to default levels and under content clear ssl cache

4. Augie65

Augie65

5. omseif

omseif Thread Starter

i m using firefox by the way and when i tried to switch to internet explorer though idon't prefer it,i faced the same problem there..and i don't prefer reformatting my drive coz i got tons of programs installed..any other help that really works?!
    thanx 4 ur reply anyways

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Configure the security settings for the Trusted sites zone in Internet Explorer
    Note Only add those sites that you trust as a trusted site. If you are not sure about a Web site, do not add the Web site to the Trusted sites list.

1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
    2. Click Trusted sites, and then click Default Level.
    3. Add any SSL-secured (128-Bit) Web sites to the Trusted sites zone. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Sites.
    b. Type the URL of the site in the Add this Web site to the zone box.
    c. Click Add, click OK, and then click Apply.

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
    3. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    this will check your protected files

and have you tried creating another account it may be corrupted

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

9. marie500

marie500

Just had the same problem! Do you have Norton? There is a "secure site" setting in the Norton firewall. If you have Norton I can tell you where to look.

10. omseif

omseif Thread Starter

i emptied all the temporary files..internet cache..and i don't have norton and i tried turning of my firewall with no use..i also tried the scan now command but they asked me to insert my windows cd and i don't have it...i tried system restore...still the same problem
    any other help would be so much appreciated

thanx

11. marie500

marie500

This site has a bunch of different things you might try - (it's IE but you could look for similar settings in your Firefox).
    http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/secure.htm
    I tried every one of them until I hit on the firewall setting (a month later). Even if you don't have Norton it could still be the firewall.
    What I don't understand is how these settings get changed in the first place. I didn't even know it was there.

12. oygab

oygab

I have the same problems (in every browser). It's not a problem with the interenet settings, it's not a problem with a firewall (windows firewall or ekstern firewall), it's not a problem with a virus program, and it's not a problem with the connection settings. What else could it be?!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591318