1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Log In to XP anymore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mickyt1992, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mickyt1992

mickyt1992 Thread Starter

Hello, I was giving my computer a general tidy up and it somehow caught WIN32\Gaelicum.A. This prevented me from doing anything but accessing safe mode. So i followed a couple of guides and through safe mode managed to remove the virus.
    Overjoyed, I rebooted to normal mode and proceeded to log in. However after entering my password and attempting to log in i was logged straight out without so much as seeing my desktop. I also tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and trying to log in via administrator. However the same thing happened.
    So I thought right something has been added to my startup folder to log me out as i log in so i went to safe mode to try and remove it in that. But the same thing happened in that.
    In a last ditch attempt to remove the suspected script from my startup i loaded up my Ubuntu live CD and accessed the folder through that. Only to find it empty of everything but the desktop.ini file.

I should say i have XP Home and no XP install CD or recovery CD because my OS came installed on the laptop from the manufacturer. And the recovery partition is also corrupted somehow so i cant restore. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated as although I have all my important files backed up and i could use Ubuntu for most of my needs, I need access to XP as I am working on a project for school which needs to be completed by the start of term in august and there is no equivalent software available on Ubuntu.

TIA,
    Michael

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

you need to go to the manufacturer of your pc and get a restore or recovery disc...

3. mickyt1992

mickyt1992 Thread Starter

I looked around on other forums and people were getting told the same info. So i just reformatted and reinstalled XP. Sort of downloaded XP from a less than legal source, but the way I see it is I already had a license for XP so it wasn't exactly illegal. Thanks for your reply anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/731968