1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't log in

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Stone Dog, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stone Dog

Stone Dog Thread Starter

I'm having trouble logging into a few sites that I am registed with. I enter my user name and password, hit log in, and nothing happens. The page reloads, and my name and password are still filled in, but it doesn't log me in. If I deliberately enter the wrong password, I do get a message saying that I have entered the wrong password, but if I use the right password, nothing happens whatsoever. I have tried deleting all cookies, my temp internet files folder, history. Any other ideas?

2. BillC

BillC

Are you using a software firewall with Privacy blocking options? If so, I bet something is being blocked that way.

3. Stone Dog

Stone Dog Thread Starter

I tried with my Firewall turned off, same result. I also tried installing Firefox and it worked from there, so it is definitely an Internet Explorer problem. I also tried using IE on another old computer (Windows 98) at home, and that worked. So the problem is definitely related strictly to IE on my Windows XP machine, but I am stumped as to what it is. I should also add that I have accessed with no problem in the past, so it is a recent change.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi Stone Dog

Have you checked your HOSTS file to see if that particular website has been added?

Or look in Internet Options > Security > Restricted Sites
    to see if it shows up there?

Let us know.

5. BillC

BillC

When you turn off your firewall, also clean your cache before you try it again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice