1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't log onto internet, Windows Explorer error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Teresa44, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Teresa44

Teresa44 Thread Starter

The user is no longer able to log onto the internet at all.
    She uses Word Pad. The error message on the new computer pops up when she is trying to log onto the web or email -- or it bounces her out of email after she’s activated it. It says: "IE has encountered a problem & needs to close the program. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you are in the middle of something it might be lost." Then it prompts her to "Tell MS about this problem, an error report has been created." When she clicks on details of the error report it says: "IE Explore.exe. The condition of IE when the error occurred was: problems with OS and computer hardware in use, your digital product ID, and IP address." Then they mention that the data they collect to fix the problem won't be shared. I have an option to send an error report, which I've done.

She’s backing up her data. she can't find Windows XP software- is it standard that you get that when you buy? Not sure she did. Bought the computer at Best Buy. It's a Compaq Model # S5300NX/P4 2.5/ 512M/120G. Can't get online at all. she had only let the Norton anti-virus lapse by a month or so, and wasn't getting any email attachments that could pose problems. However, her son has done some downloads from a videogame website for some cheat codes for his Nintendo... so maybe that's the culprit.

What steps should I take. I thought I should try to repair Windows XP. I woudl do a scan on housecall but sounds like this one needs to be formatted and reinstalled. Please advise. thanks you guys are awesome!!!

2. Cosmic

Cosmic

Your post is confusing.

Difficult to tell if you can't get On-Line at all or to just a few particular sites.

First, try resetting your modem or router if using a cable or DSL modem / router.

You do this by unplugging power to the modem and waiting about 30 seconds, same with the router. If you have both a modem and router. Unplug power to both. Restore the modem first and wait an additional minute or so and restore the router.

Next you might call to see if your ISP service is down.

Once sure the problem in not in a modem or ISP service can continue on to check for possible hardware / software causes but you normally try to reset the router / modems as the first action.

With XP, it is critical to always make backups, especially of the OS, settings and files on drive C. My next action would be to restore the system via running the backup. You can attempt to do a "Restore" but with XP many times that does not fix things. Having good BackUps normally fixes most XP glitches. You should rarely have to reload the system.

3. Teresa44

Teresa44 Thread Starter

Cannot log on at all. using Dial up. Getting error message IE has encountered a problem & needs to close the program. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you are in the middle of something it might be lost."
    The error message leads me to believe that it isn't an ISP problem or modem problem. Sounds like OS doesn't it?

4. Cosmic

Cosmic

H,mmm Yep does sound software related.

I would try to restore the system by running a BackUp if you were lucky enough to have made one.

If not you can attempt to restore the system by doing a Restore via XP to a date when the system worked.

You can access the System Restore Wizard through the Start menu. To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!