1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Login but I know the password is correct

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by punkboy15, Oct 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. punkboy15

punkboy15 Thread Starter

I have a Windows 10 laptop that will not let me login. I type in the password and it says to reset it through my Microsoft account. I can log into my Microsoft account with the same password just fine. I tried restoring it to a previous point restore point and it asks for the password to proceed. I use the same password and it lets me do a restore point back but that did not make a difference. I booted into command prompt which requires the password as well and net user does not show any accounts. I created a new account with the net user commands and rebooted and it does not give me an option to change to the other account in the lower left like it usually does.

It is the strangest thing because Windows knows the username and password because it asks for it for all the advanced startup options but will not let me log into the machine. Does anyone have any other ideas before I backup data and reset the machine?

2. sgeep

sgeep

First Name:
    Sam
    Try some older versions of the password, especially if the computer isn't hooked up to the internet regularly. Used to run into a problem where our online account credentials were updated, but machines that weren't logged into the network were unable to get the updated credentials. Thus, the password would remain the same, even though the credentials were changed.

3. punkboy15

punkboy15 Thread Starter

It has been the same password since the machine was purchased.

4. sgeep

sgeep

First Name:
    Sam
    Ensure the keyboard is reading all the inputs correctly. Otherwise, your best bet is to probably plug in a flash drive with windows and do a wipe. If your data isn't backed up there should be ways to pull it off the hard drive before wiping.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you actually changed the password on the MSAccount and then once changed tried that on the PC ?
    make sure the PC is connected to the internet first

6. smeegle

smeegle

I had trouble getting my computer to accept my password. Then I realized that my password had a number in it and the number lock on my keyboard was not on. Just thought I'd offer that.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice