1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant login on XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Animaux0, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Animaux0

Animaux0 Thread Starter

Got a friends pc here who cant login to windows anymore. Normally when you have only one account its doesnt display the loginscreen but all of a sudden it did and when he tries to log in on that account it starts up and before anything has happend (just a split second) it returns to the same loginscreen again. I have tried to do it on safe mode and then you also get the administrator login but it gives the same problem.

Has anyone had the same problem before and has a solution for it? is it a virus of somekind?
    Its a brand new pc with XP home on it, 2.8gighz, 512MBram

i also tried to "fix windows" but it didnt do anything.
    Thanks for the help in advance :)

2. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy Animaux0, Does your friend run an anti-virus programme and/or firewall? I had a similar problem a couple of months ago, when something got altered in the registry ( I got an error alert but thru stupidity, hoped it would go away). Anyways, I had to completely reformat the drives and reinstall XP as my computer repair friends said I had either been hacked or gained a virus, despite my AV programmes etc that had altered the settings. I could only use the machine in safe mode then I had no firewall or antivirus, so I took it to my local shop. We are STILL unsure what actually happened, but XP created a password and logged me out! I now also run WinPatrol, which tells me if any programme is trying to alter my settings etc. Hope this is of a little help.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There are several solutions to this problem that don't require reformatting or reinstalling XP.

Solution #1:

There is a boot disk you can download at:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

that will let you reset the password of any account on NT4, Windows2000 or XP.

Just follow all the default settings which are for the admin account. Used it many
    times with great success.

They also have a bootable CD image you can download.

Solution #2:

Run a repair install of XP

Solution #3:

If you have a FAT32 partition or some other way to access the C: drive, rename the \windows\system32\config\sam file. This will remove all users from the computer and set the administrator's password to a blank one. A bit severe but at least you can access the computer again. Needed this a few times where the user account wasn't as critical as not wanting to completely format and wipe out all the data, configurations and applications. Easy to do with several different programs and so much for the security of NT ;-)

4. Animaux0

Animaux0 Thread Starter

thanks but none of these helped, the problem is not that the password is wrong, i can login but in a split second it returns back to the loginscreen. for solution 3 its all in ntfs and dont really know a way to get in dos that pops into my head.
    I'm gonna try to put his HD in my pc as slave and then put over some of his files that he needs and then format c: unless anyone can come up with a better idea :)

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can boot to your XP CD, a repair install might be a good thing to try. Doesn't take that long compared to how long the problem has been going on.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice