Can't Login to Comcast Business Gateway from Switch

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mrm5102

Hello All,

So one of our remote branches has just recently got an extra internet connection installed at their location. The goal being to have any public internet traffic go through the new Comcast Modem and Local/Private traffic will go over our MPLS (*T1).

So I had one of our employees there hop on our private Wi-Fi so I could Remote into their PC (*using VNC) then they plugged their laptop into Port "1" of the Comcast Business Gateway. The Wired connection then got a DHCP address from the Comcast Modem and I was able to get to the Admin Page at http://10.0.10.1... I then logged in using the default username and password.

Next, I changed the admin password as Comcast recommends, and then had to log back in again, which I was able to do successfully using the new password. So I know the new password I had setup took just fine.

I then changed the Gateway address to 10.99.3.1 uniform to the current network (*because that location uses 10.99.1.x for Data / PCs, and 10.99.2.x for VoIP). Changing the Gateway address also changed the DHCP Pool as well. After I did that I went to the new Gateway Address in my Web Browser and was able to login to the Admin page just fine again.

Lastly, I inserted a new Static Route to send ALL 10.0.0.0/24 traffic to the Port address of the Cisco Router the modem was going to to be plugged into.

So, after configuring those settings we unplugged the laptop, then using the same plug we plugged the Modem into our Cisco Router. From the Cisco Router and Switch, and basically any device connected to that Switch (*no matter what address they had, i.e. 10.99.x.x) I could ping the Modem just fine.

Traffic Flow:
Comcast Modem <---> Cisco Router <---> Cisco Switch <---> PC

So I then remoted into another PC connected to the Cisco Switch, like the flow above, and from that PC I can get to the Gateway's Admin page just fine. But, when I attempt to login I continue getting "The login attempt failed". To make sure I was entering the correct password, I even wrote it into a notepad and copy/pasted it into the Password field and I still cannot login....

Are there any security setting on the Comcast Business Gateway that would prevent you from logging in to the Admin page if you are, for example, on a different subnet OR if you are not connected directly into the back of the modem (*without any switches between you and the modem)..?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

TerryNet

Terry
The Comcast "modem" is actually a modem/router combination unit.

Just a thought--some routers allow only a single login at a time, and the error given for when another login is attempted usually wins no award for clarity. With one router I had even if I turned off the computer I was using if I didn't explicitly logout of the router I could not login from another computer for some period of time. So, is it possible that your first computer is still logged in and that is why the second one is rejected?

mrm5102

Hey Terry, thanks for the reply!

You actually might be on to something there. When I got off the admin page on the other PC I just closed the window. Never actually clicked sign out.

I thought it was strange, but when i tried to logon from the other PC and I got to the login page, there was an actual sign out button/link at the top of the page. I'm pretty sure I tried clicking it, but nothing happened.

Do you think there's a timeout where it will auto logout the admin after so long? Or do you think I need to get back on that other PC and logout from there.?

Thanks Again,
Matt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online