1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't make direct connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lcoreyl, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lcoreyl

lcoreyl Thread Starter

the new connection wizard is failing when trying to set up a direct cable connection. after doing "accept incoming connections" and hitting next, I get "Incoming connections depend on the Routing and Remote access service which was unable to start. for more information check the system event log."

I don't know what that service is or where that log is located...

I just used the connection wizard recently and wasn't having this problem...

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    By default, the Routing and Remote Access service is set to "Disabled" (at least, it is on my machine...).

Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down to "Routing and Remote Access". Change the Startup type to Manual, by right-clicking it, select Properties, and select Manual in the Startup type drop-down box.

I don't know what effect this may have, so I wouldn't try it until it is given the OK by more experienced TSG users.

3. lcoreyl

lcoreyl Thread Starter

I found that service and it is set to automatic. I tried to start it myself and got the same error...

I also found the system event log and located the error. I clicked the link that is supposed to give more specific information, but it said it does not recognize the error code.

Any other suggestions??

I REALLY need to get this done, because my stupid DirecTivo won't record anything until I do the call in, which I can only do setting up PPP over serial with my PC!!

I don't get why this happened as I have set up this connection before??

4. lcoreyl

lcoreyl Thread Starter

Is there anything else I can post to help troubleshoot??

5. lcoreyl

lcoreyl Thread Starter

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Well, there is not much I know about setting up a direct connection, and others don't seem to, either. It might be better to move it to the Networking forum.

In the top-right corner of your message is a red triangle with an exclamation mark: Report Post to Moderators. Ask them politely if they can move your post to the Networking forum. You'll more likely (and more quickly) get a response.

7. lcoreyl

lcoreyl Thread Starter

8. lcoreyl

lcoreyl Thread Starter

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. See what error and description is listed. Post the EXACT text.

10. lcoreyl

lcoreyl Thread Starter

Attached is a screen shot of the error from the event log.

The event log had a link which gave me this:

I then did what it said and got the other screen shot.

Everything says the service is definitely stopped, but I can't see why it won't start...

Attached Files:

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Look in services and see what dependencies it has. Perhaps a dependency is causing it to fail.

12. lcoreyl

lcoreyl Thread Starter

Remote Procedure Call
    NetBIOS Interface

Remote Procedure Call is another service which shows as started. I'm not sure what NetBIOS is or how to see if it's working correctly.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice