1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Make List Of MP3 Songs In Folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sunsession, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunsession

sunsession Thread Starter

I have a folder containing about 1,100 MP3s. I want to copy just the titles and artists as a master list onto a MS Word (or Notepad, etc.) document. When I try to copy and paste, the whole song is transferring, not just the printed title and artist. How can I make a nice file containing just the titles and artists, not the actual mp3 songs? I have Windows XP SP2. Thanks.

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

go to a cmd prompt
    go to the folder
    type the following:

dir > filelist.txt

Edit the resulting text file as you desire.

3. sunsession

I'm not familiar with command prompts. Came aboard at Windows98 and never looked back. Can you give me a step-by-step or a link to one? Thanks.

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

start/run type in cmd and hit OK
    type cd\pathtoyourmp3 folder
    [you go there in explorer and note what the path is like c:\settings and documents\.......]

Then type what I listed

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

6. sunsession

I think I followed your instructions. When the prompt window first opened, it already had the beginning of the file path (C:Documents and Settings\Ken). I just started with the same and did the whole file path to the folder. Got a notice that said "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." I can't believe that by the time we get to Windows XP there's not an easy way to turn the contents of a folder into a text list. I use the Firefox browser. Doesn't one of their zillion plug-ins or extensions do this? I'll try again Tuesday. Thanks.

7. sunsession

Thanks to devil_himself for the link to a similar thread last January. It contained a post by "stantley" containing a link to Karen's Directory Printer. This is just the program I needed; it worked like a charm. Many thanks to all.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!