1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't manage to get a ipaddress

Discussion in 'Networking' started by techwizard, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techwizard

techwizard Thread Starter

I have a intel pentium II 450mhz with 320 sdram. I'm trying to set it up for the internet which is good enough. I connect it to a linksys router. I used to connect with a switch and in the begining I had a problem getting a ipaddress. I don't remember what I did to solve that problem. I tried repairing the nic But I get a message that I should contact my isp. The problem isn't on the connection to my isp, it's on the nic that I can't get a ipaddress. When I double click on the network card, I get some "invalid ip address". On repair, I get the following, The following steps of the operation failed because, 1 renewing the ipaddress, 2 refreshing all dhcp leases and reregistering the dns names. Please contact your isp or network administrator.

2. vohoanglam

vohoanglam

Do you know how to remove and re-intall your NIC in your computer? Try it!
    Ok! Computer property --> Device manager --> right click your NIC and choose uninstall --> Yes / Then restart your windows to see what happend ( Windows will re-install your NIC automatically).
    If this can not solve you IP problem! Try this:
    Connection property --> Remove all components ( including: File and printer sharing, TCP/IP, Windows logon family) --> Ok then restart windows! Install all 3 again!
    I don't know that are you using DHCP or not? So, try with your own to get IP from ISP (Instead of preparing was set by windows).

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your router is setup properly, my guess is that you have a bad connection to the router, did you check both the cable and the router port? Try a new cable and a new port on the router.

4. compgeek101

compgeek101

I had the same problem on my laptop. Go to your network connections and click the one that says Local Area Connection. Go to support and look at the ip address. Is it a 169 address? If it is your router is not assigning your comp an ip address though DHCP. You may not have DHCP set up on your comp. Go back to general and click properties. Then in that list that it gives you go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Make sure that obtain ip address automatically is selected. If not select it. If it is click advanced. make sure that int he first window it says DHCP Enabled. Is it?

5. techwizard

techwizard Thread Starter

Thanks for all those willing to share your expertise with others!!!
    I have another computer connected to the same router which works fine, had a computer connected to this same port, it worked just fine. I use pppoe, which requires a username and password for the connection. I tried circumventing the router, and going straight to the dsl modem with only the bad computer. It does connect to the internet, But I can't view any page! on "Local Area Connection" I get "invalid ip address", then all is 0.0.0.0. (all this while I am connected to my isp). I tried another cable, But that didn't do the trick, I tried uninstalling the ethernet card, nothing doing there either. uninstalling tcp/ip on the nic, Dead end there too! I also looked at dhcp as compgeek101 proposed, I'm dhcp enabled, I tried setting up a static ipaddress, only to find out once again I don't know what the problem.

Thanks for all the help and time in advance!!!

6. compgeek101

compgeek101

well, the invalid ip address means that you are not getting an ip address from your dhcp server. Have you tried going to the cmd and typing ipconfig/renew? Try that and see what happens. Niite nite.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice