1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Modify System Properties

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by meridian2345, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meridian2345

meridian2345 Thread Starter

The computer I am having problems with is in my office as part of a small workgroup network (dental office). The computer is a Dell Optiplex 745 running windows XP professional.

I first noticed this problem as I was trying to change my network adapter to allow to wake from standby without the "only allow management stations" options checked off. I would uncheck this box and everything would be fine until the system was restarted and the same thing would happen again. I am the administrator and have access to all users/administrators of the workgroup. I noticed today that it seems to be that no changes in "system properties" are permanent on this computer because the "apply" button is always grayed out and can not be pressed.

I can't find the answer anywhere and it is real important for me to be able to access this computer from home using LogMeIN.com. Right now I can make it work fine if I remember to uncheck the box to "only allow management stations to bring the computer out of standby " before placing the computer into standby but it would be nice for this setting to be permanently registered.

2. dukevyner

dukevyner

the only thing i can think off is... does it have anything that keeps it in a certain state... i ask cause you said its in a dental office.. some businesses use programs like deep freeze to stop changes being made to the computer

3. meridian2345

meridian2345 Thread Starter

Not that I know of unless one of my other applications like my practice management software or antivirus (kaspersky) are doing this without me knowing.

It is a good idea though, maybe I should do a clean boot of windows xp and see If that solves the issue. I will try tomorrow when I am back in the office.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Please do not double-post.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!