1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant mount cd/ corrupted cd

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by katastroph, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katastroph

katastroph Thread Starter

hello, actually HELP, :(

been troubleshooting this one all day and can't find a fix

I have a couple of cd's roughly about the same age (old) and make, I have needed to access them from time to time over the years, without any problems, but they generally get very little use. They are clean, well stored and relatively unscaved. (y)

I recently needed to use them again and have been unable to mount or read them using:

a laptop with xp and a cd/dvd rom
    a pc with xp and a cd rom and a cd/dvd rom

both lappy and pc cd rom's are functioning and reading other disks with no problem (y)

I have tried reading them from;
    ubuntu live installation, and
    dos command from cmd prompt and recovery console; but I cannot get a directory list of the files at all

I ran chkdsk on them and revealed that there are problems with the disks (n)

I have tryed a few different file recovery tools; isobuster and unstopable copier as well as trying to read with nero

The file system in properties is showing as RAW instead of CDFS; so I gave microsofts "rawviewer" a go, no luck

All of this has been to no avail, I would really like to recover the files and I'm sure there's a way, I just dont know the answer yet,

I hope I have given enough info, and I have come to the following conclusions,

- there is no malfunction with either pc or laptop cd/dvd devices - so no need to reinstall drivers (y)

- the problem is not platform dependent - cannot mount, read or create directory files from windows/ubuntu/dos :rolleyes:

- I have used a few recovery tools and all apps became suspended when attempting to read the disks :confused:

please if you know the answer let me know, I couldnt stand to give up since I spent a whole day already :eek:

thanks so much for reading and any help you may be able to provide :eek:

2. pip22

pip22

Microsoft Raw Viewer is for viewing digital camera images which were captured in 'raw' format, nothing to do with reading a raw file system.

If you haven't already tried IsoBuster, it may be able to read it, though it's not free & I don't know whether the trial is fully functional: http://www.isobuster.com/

3. katastroph

katastroph Thread Starter

thanks pip22...

oh and I should have mentioned these are burnt disks,

If theres anybody out there who has a any idea how I may find a work around this problem please let me know,

also please read my original post carefully so you don't suggest something that I've already tried, ta ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!