Can't network my two laptops

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sidney

I can't get my two laptops to network together. both have internet access thru a D-Link wireless router and works fine. Both laptops have Windows XP. I have ran the network wizard several times and I keep getting the network not accessible contact your sytem administrater message. My Dell E1405 has a pritner connected to it ahnd works fine but the Dell 6000 can not access the printer or the other laptop. I have done the ipconfig thing several times, i have turned off the windows firewall and the zone alrarm firewall and still no luck. Any suggestions?

TerryNet

Terry
Uninstall ZoneAlarm or properly configure it for LAN access.

Sidney

I removed the Zone Alarm and it had no effect. something seems to keep the two from seeing each other.

TerryNet

Terry
To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

Sidney

i pinged the other laptop and get back 4 lines saying request timed out and then the next line says 4 packets sent 0 received 100% loss

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Failure to ping is almost always a firewall issue. That's the place to start looking.

Sidney

pinging worked to ip but when i did the run ipofother it said network path not found

TerryNet

Terry
Ping fails, then ping works, then you get "network path not found." Sounds like you have some kind of intermittent connectivity problem.

Have you seen any other evidence that one or both computers are (maybe pretty briefly) losing connection to the router?

For both PCs please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Sidney

thanks for all your help but i think this is too much for me and i dont jave the time to work on it so i will say problem sovled for now
thnaks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online