1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't ntfs-format external Maxtor 500G USB dsrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earthrisers, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. earthrisers

earthrisers Thread Starter

I'm trying to (re-)format a Maxtor 500G external USB drive.
    It's already NTFS.

Windows XP Pro keeps telling me, "Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is diaplaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again."

I've already turned off both my virus-protection and my spyware monitoring software.
    I've turned off disk-indexing for that disk.

I've tried both the "Optimize for performance" and the "Optimize for quick removal" setting in the drive's hardware properties/policies settings.

No luck... does anyone have any clues about this?

2. bigbear

bigbear

Hello and welcome to TGS
    Are you trying to format in diskmanagement?

3. earthrisers

earthrisers Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick message.

No, I've just been using the basic approach of right-clicking the drive and selecting Format from the pop-up menu.

But just now (after you raised the possibility), I tried to do it via Disk Management.
    The resulting message is different...

"The volume... is currently in use. To force the format of this volume, click Yes."

...followed by a warning that if I do click yes, it might cause unexpected errors in the application that is using this volume. But of course I have no clue as to what application XP thinks is using the volume. (Windows Task Manager doesn't show any application that would be doing so; I have also tried it when no applications at all were running.)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Say yes if you know you're not using the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice