1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't obtain address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dDAPPete, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

Have a hp mini notebook, WXP, using Wireless connection which has been running just fine for many days.
    Have a number of other computers accessing same 2wire network with no problem; both wireless and cable

The mini sees the 2wire and receives strong signal but doesn't display it to connect to in the "available wireless network window". The window doesn't see other nearby wireless either which I think it can. I have tried a number of things via adapator and setting up "new" connections..........and the last time I had this issue I ended up re-installing WXP, but what a drag.

I did do one thing the other day that I wondered if it was stupid. While it was running on AC I did take out the notebook battery to clean it up a bit since it wasn't holding a very long charge.........I wondered if I had messed something.

Anyway, worse case I reload windows..........best case there is a simple task I perform to receive my address, presumably IP address.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming "WXP" means Windows XP what wireless utility are you using to manage the connections? Are you sure no other one is running?

What, if any, non-Windows firewall or security suite is, or was, on the machine?

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

here you go. I use Norton for my antivirus/security. Yes, It is WinXP, SP3.
    Wireless is via 2wire515 router.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Debbie Lambooy>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mom
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Eth
    ernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-64-74-A5-E5

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-4E-3A-51-84

C:\Documents and Settings\Debbie Lambooy>

4. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Norton (at least some products) can "hide" wireless networks to block networking. It may do so if mis-configured, corrupted or out-of-date. Best to uninstall it and run Symantec's Norton Removal Tool. You can reinstall it after getting your network functional.

The other thing that I know of that causes your symptoms is having multiple wireless clients running. Possibilities include XP's Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC), one from Broadcom and one from HP.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You could also try a System Restore to just before you started having a problem. If that doesn't help then undo the Restore.

7. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

oh, and it works fine if we plug a ethernet cable into it...........which tells me it can get a signal from the router, etc., and internet access.......just something about the wireless piece.

8. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

already did a Restore and didn't help

9. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

great, now the cable internet to it must have gotten in conflict. I plugged a cable into it yesterday and it worked right away so at least it was able to access the internet (and the computer still knows there are wireless networks near by just can't "see them" to connect. Anyway, a little while ago I lost wired access, the lights don't blink at the plug. If I disable the connection and then "enable" the lights flash briefly and then they go out, disable mode. I've checked my Device Manager and there aren't any conflicts. I must have screwed something up royally...........looks like I'm headed down the path of reinstalling Windows XP..........again.

10. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

and Terrynet: Norton up to date, runs wonderfully with frequent scans and updates. I'm still thinking I did somthing when I took the battery pack out while the computer was one..................

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like defective cable or NIC.

12. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

two different cables that I know work on another computer

13. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

something preventing the ip address being obtained. I've done "release" "renew" several times

14. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

got my internet back using cable....still wireless not but at least I have cable

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice