1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't obtain an IP address...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by uchow10, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uchow10

uchow10 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a network setup so that a wireless router is connected to my westell versalink. This enables my network to be wireless. Everything works and I set it so that the versalink is the DHCP server and assigns IP addresses. However whenever I try to connect my laptop via wireless, it keeps saying unable to obtain IP address. So to get it to work I have to unplug the wireless router (turn it off) and replug it to make it work. Is there a way to solve this so I don't have to do that? I disable the wireless router to act as a DHCP server so there shouldn't be any conflicts with the versalink. However I did set the wireless router IP address to be within the range of the DHCP addresses...But this shouldn't cause any problems, right?

Anyway please help! I am tired of unplugging and plugging ARGH :mad:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    That could be a very big problem if the DHCP server tries to assign that address to a computer on the system. The wireless router needs to have an IP address within the westell versalink's subnet range but out of the DHCP range.

EDIT: You may also get the same error message if you are using encryption on the wireless access point and your computer is attempting to use an invalid key.

3. uchow10

uchow10 Thread Starter

actually...i apologize as I didnt check properly. The IP address of the wireless router is in fact out of the DHCP range. But what does it mean to be within the same subnet range? Although I am not sure about that, the internet configuration does work but it is just when i turn on laptop it has difficulty receiving an IP address from the versalink.

In regards to encryption...I am indeed using the right key.

so can are there any suggestions as to why it does this?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Exactly how is all of your network hardware interconnected? One of our moderators, JohnWill has a pretty good write up on how to interconnect and configure two routers (or a modem/router and a wireless router). An advanced search on the TSG site for his username and the terms SOHO and router should find find one of his posts.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

6. uchow10

uchow10 Thread Starter

My versalink has DHCP server enabled so it gives out ip addresses. My wireless router is connected to the versalink similar to JohnWill's guide. So the only purpose of the wireless router is to give wireless capability to my network (so DHCP is disabled). I assigned my versalink an IP address of 172.31.1.1 while my wireless router has an IP of 172.31.1.10. And the DHCP on versalink ranges from 172.31.1.100 to 172.31.1.254. So I think it does fall within the same subnet and out of the DHCP range.

The network itself is fine. But again the problem is that the laptop has difficulty obtaining an IP address from versalink via wireless. So far my only solution is to reset the wireless router each time I start the laptop in order to obtain an IP address from versalink.

7. Billyd65

Billyd65

Having a similar setup using Linksys routers, I set the DHCP server on the wired only off and utilize the DHCP server in the wireless to serve any clients that need to connect. Works well for me though YMMV

8. uchow10

uchow10 Thread Starter

im guessing it might be because my router is acting faulty...well in any case i guess its alright...ill just reset the wireless whenever i connect using my laptop....

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver. If the adapter is integrated the driver should come from your PC manufacturer's web site.

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the wireless router. Then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If still no good you might want to try the same for the primary router.

This problem is after a boot or a restart, not after awakening from Standby/Sleep or hibernate, right?

10. uchow10

uchow10 Thread Starter

Yes it only happens when I boot the computer because it needs to get a new IP.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/847869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice