1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open any browser, game and God knows what else

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by X-Ter, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. X-Ter

X-Ter Thread Starter

I was happily surfing the net (on my laptop) this morning until my Firefox crashed. This has been happening ever since I started playing an online game and it takes up about 500mb of memory sometimes. :confused: Anyway, I decided to force close firefox and start a new one. It asked if I wanted to restore previous session etc so I decided to start a new session instead. After that, it didn't open at all. I tried opening internet explorer and that did not start either. Luckily, Opera seemed to be working so I used that instead.

I was using Opera until my cousin came round. He wanted to play a game (Football Manager) and when he opened it, it didn't come up with the game, only a black screen. Then I decided to open another game (pro evolution) and it seemed to be checking the dvd drive, but after that it just didn't open. We tried opening the game several times, but it just wouldn't start. So I opened Task Manager... or rather tried to and after several "Ctrl + Alt + Del"'s it finally opened and I closed the games manually (for some reason they were listed on the processes but weren't opening).

XP also crashes when I open explorer and then press start or something, or try to open another explorer. Also, task manager seems to have stopped completely and all my other games do not start either. Opera has also stopped working. Im using xp pro sp2 and its got all the latest updtates etc. Also have ZoneAlarm (the best version of it as well) and there are no viruses or spyware. Since today, its blocked 204 intrusions and 185 of them have been "high-rated". Yesterday, it was about 19 intrusions :confused:

Sorry about the long post, I'm only 16 and don't know anything about this stuff :confused:

And yes, i did register to the site just to ask this question :p

2. bonk

bonk Banned

First Try System Restore to an Earlier date before the crash happened.

Click Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

Restore your PC to an earlier time

Pick a date in Dark Blue only

Let us know the outcome.

3. X-Ter

X-Ter Thread Starter

Sorry I should have said this but I tried it to yesterday and it still has the same problem.

Another thing is that whenever I login (even to someone else's account) an error message comes up saying that svchost.exe cannot start and has to be terminated

4. bonk

bonk Banned

How much memory do you have in the PC?

What size Hard drive and how much free space is left.?

Can you get passed the login screen?

5. X-Ter

X-Ter Thread Starter

1gb of ram, cant check the free space because i cant open explorer to check but it does have enough, i'm sure (probably about 15 gb). the size is 80gb and i can get past the login screen. In fact, you wouldn't notice if anything was wrong until you tried opening a browser, game or explorer. Even wierder is that I can open a folder on my desktop but whenever i go up the directories to "my computer", it crashes suddenly.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Is this IE 7 or IE6?

Can you get into Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
    2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
    3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

let me know

7. X-Ter

X-Ter Thread Starter

lol another thing i forgot to mention. My dad did recover in safe mode so it definately works, yes.

btw thanks for the help!

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Go into safemode with instructions above and choose safemode

If you get into safemode it will look different

Try opening something like a program but not games

Click on the start button and see if you can move around in all programs

Let us know how it works.

9. X-Ter

X-Ter Thread Starter

Everything seems to work fine in safe mode

10. bonk

bonk Banned

OK....will in Safemode check in Device Manager under Display Adapters.

To get to Device Manager click Start>>Run type devmgmt.msc click OK

Look down the list for Display Adapters
    Click on the + sign to expand
    Double click on your video card
    Click on the Driver tab
    Uninstall driver and then restart your PC

See if it is the same as it was ....when it starts it will probably look for a driver just let it do its thing first.

11. X-Ter

X-Ter Thread Starter

Everything is similar, only resultion has been reset to 1024 x 768 and everything is much worse now.

12. bonk

bonk Banned

Set the resolution to 800 X 600 and see if it is better.

What laptop is it....Make and Model?

13. X-Ter

X-Ter Thread Starter

Lenovo 3000 N100

I cant do anything after logging on, only task manager. The desktop seems to have crashed and i have to open programs using task manager.

14. bonk

bonk Banned

15. X-Ter

X-Ter Thread Starter

Firefox seems to be working but none of the other problems have been solved (IE or games). After a restart and the driver, the resolution is back to 1280 x 800 though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!