1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open any files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mabelmabel, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mabelmabel

mabelmabel Thread Starter

I have windows 98 on my laptop. I brought a disc home from work that used windows 2000. Even though I erased all the files from that disc, I can't get into ANY file I ever created on my computer and I can't create any new files.

When I try to open a file I get the message that the computer has performed an illegal operation. But that's only after I have gotten hung up forever while the computer tries to open the file.
    (I have to hit control/alt/delete to get out of that).

I don't think it is a virus because I have virus protection and the disc came from a government computer that should be clean.

Help would be so appreciated!

MabelMabel

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi mabelmabel, Welcome to TSG !!
    When you try to open a file, from the floppy?? or any file on your pc??
    Did you erase it on your pc?
    Did you scan the floppy before you erased it??
    Make sure your antivirus is updated and run it!! Manually!

3. mabelmabel

mabelmabel Thread Starter

I can't open any documents on my computer, not just those on the disk or those created by the disk.

I did erase all the files created by the disk, too.

I'll try and run virus protection again.

Thanks for your fast response.

I'm so frustrated!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you rebooted after encountering this problem? I've seen it on my Win98 system when trying to view files created by Easy CD Creator on my XP system. For some reason Direct CD doesn't cause it.

If the problem is persisting after a reboot, try this: Click Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore and use your arrow keys to selct a started registry dated just prior to this happening from the first 4 selections.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice