1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open attachments in AOL ...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shebe, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shebe

shebe Thread Starter

Good Day,

After networking 3 pc's together with a wired Linskys router BEFSR41 (2 desk tops and a lap top and all three are running WXP) everything seemed to be fine.

Then my roommate tried to open an attachment in her email. It works fine in Hotmail, but her AOL email gives her the following message: (name of attachment, amount of bytes) then DL time (tcp/ip) <1> BTW - She can send attachments and they seem to work fine, it just seems to the getting... that is the problem.

So now after looking over AOL's site and realizing I am an AOL noob, I was hoping one of you kind people my have a clue and maybe a way to resolve this issue.

Any ideas they would be most welcome.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What file type is the attachment? Is she downloading the attachment to the desktop (or other folder) or opening it from some other location?

3. shebe

shebe Thread Starter

Well, I've sent mpeg, jpg and ASF as attachments to her AOL account and at the same time her Hotmail account. There was no problem with Hotmail everything opened fine.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for AOL. All it does is give the attachment's stat's like bytes and name. Then it says: DL Time (TCP/IP) (sometimes it's up to 26 minutes.) ...There is nothing to click on to load or open.

Two things: She can upload files (Mpegs and jpg) without a problem and if she is receives a link to Youtube it will play. (Not sure if that means anything.)

Hope this helps. I really appreciate your time.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wish it did help, but no bulbs lit up.

This problem only started after the networking, or it occurred before, or you don't know?

Is she able to find the downloaded files and are they downloaded (When it says "26 minutes", for example, was there really a 26-minute wait that indicates that something was actually downloaded?)? Is she certain that files of the same type open normally otherwise, if not from AOL?

If you think the problem started with the new network setup, try a direct connection to the internet for that machine and see if it makes any difference.

5. shebe

shebe Thread Starter

This is crazy. She said she had no problem with jpg's and mpegs until the networking. I did hook it up directly, but it still failed. (I know all the mpegs were under 3 minutes in length, so there is no way it would take 26 minutes using broadband to open 'em.)

I've never dealt with AOL, especially when it's already on the PC. Then I realized the other person's pc (#3) had their AOL (optimized 9... she is running 8), so I had the bright idea to access her AOL account through it and by golly it worked. Everything was there and could be opened. Yippee!

Unfortunately, now the mystery is... What is making her AOL/notebook act this way. I'm thinking it has to be something with the security settings. She did have Norton virus, but never bothered to updated it and then removed it just before getting online with us.

Well, I guess it's time for a consult with an AOL tech. Unless you have some other suggestions?

Either way thanks again for your time.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it's a problem with AOL software, then hopefully they can help. But are there any settings in security-related progerams, such as anti-virus or anti-malware, that may have settings that prohibit certain download types (or all downloads) from mail? Of course, it could be AOL's own security that is a problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice