1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open attachments with Windows live mail!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by need2know, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Never had a problem until about 6 months ago. Have WLM installed on Windows7, (not by choice I hasten to add!!)

1) Can't open ANY attachments in an email, ie photos, word docs, pdf etc..etc
    I don't get any error messages, I can highlight the attachment but nothing happens after that, not even double clicking.
    I can save any of these attachments to the desktop or a folder and then open, so it seems to be a problem with the email program.After saving the attachments I have gone into the drop down box that lets you check "always open these kind of files as ..), click Apply & Ok. Back to email, still no change

OK, so it is more of an inconvenience but it's driving me mad not knowing why.
    I have disabled the AVG "email scanning", no difference, then uninstalled AVG, not that either. I have uninstalled Adobe,then reinstalled updated Adobe

2) About the same time, I noticed I could no longer send photos by email via Picasa, so when I try and send a photo via WLM as an attachment, the recipient receives it HUGE, so go into My Pictures, highlight the file,click on email on the ribbon, use the drop down box to reduce size, click attach, but the mail message only shows the file number, no picture, send it anyway, recipient doesnt get the picture.
    Frankly, neither do I, hate WLM 11 !!

Any ideas wont come too soon, Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume that somebody else owns the computer and requires the use of Windows Live Mail? If that's not the case why not use web mail or a different email client?

(I also can't stand WLM 2011, won't allow it on my machines, and have no idea how to help you with it. Sorry.)

3. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Your right, computer owned by my sister, who isnt too muched fussed about a specific email client as long as she can do what she has always done: open attachments, send pics in the size she requires etc, use Picasa etc..
    So next questions would be:
    1) Any recommendations as to who/which to use (I have only used OE/Windows Mail and Wlm- with none of her problems)
    2) And I know this seems obvious but need to ask, will using the "export" program in WLM, and saving all her contacts and message folders( she has a lot) to a flash/folder/ext hd, will I then be able to import them back to another email client rather than a Windows one?
    I know I can also drag her messages into new folder, not using "import", but will they "drag" back ?
    Thanks again

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I should have mentioned that Hotmail can be used with Microsoft's email clients, but not with others.

1. I use Mozilla Thunderbird. Here are a bunch.

2. Another email client may import contacts and accounts and messages on setup. Else export/import should work with at least contacts.

When trying another program do not immediately dump WLM. The problems may be only in WLM, but they also may be more general issues.

5. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Thanks, before I change to another email client, I will uninstall WLM and reinstall it, because it functioned ok for the first 6 months. If I do this, does WLM still hold the message and contact details and automatically put everything back in ?? (Will save contacts and messages just in case!!)
    Would appreciate your replies :)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I do not know. Certainly support "Will save contacts and messages just in case!!". :)

7. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Will give it a go next time, will let you know. Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice