1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant open avi file with vlc anymore

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by okeee, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

win xp pro sp3
    vlc 2.02

i asked about this error at vlc forums, but no answer. so maybe here someone knows?

i could previously open .avi files without problems.
    then in windows, i changed the settings for .avi files to 'open with vlc' (because i wanted to change the icon). with folder settings.
    BUT then i couldnt play avi files anymore. even reinstalling vlc 2.02 didnt help, or deleting the .avi in folder settings. other files .mkv, wmv and SOME of the .avi files seem to work ok

errors:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you opening VLC first and then loading the files through the File menu?

Do they play in other players?

3. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

no, i double click the video file to open it, then vlc is automatically opened. i just noticed, when i open vlc, and then open file, then there is no problem! but this method is quite annoying to opening video files.

i didnt try any other video player, because they need codecs, and i dont want to install any codecs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060731