1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't open c drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by STUPIDGIRL, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. STUPIDGIRL

STUPIDGIRL Thread Starter

I am having problems opening my c: drive. When I click on "my computer" and it shows all my drives my c drive has the icon that usually appears when you don't have the program to open the file. I have tried reinstalling my win xp but that didn't fix it.

Any ideas?

~susiejo

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Can you right click on the C drive and choose Explore? If so then it can be fixed, but let us know if that works first.

3. STUPIDGIRL

Yes, I can do that. Can I access my files and folders that way?

~susiejo

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You bet. Or at least if all else is normal you can. If you haven't ever moved anything out of the default locations your personal account files and folders are in C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\My Documents

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. STUPIDGIRL

Elvandil, The link you gave just takes me to like a word pad type page with no download on it. Could you recheck it? Although I can now access my files using the "explore" feature, I would still like to fix this if possible.

Thanks for the help!

~susiejo

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Right click on Elvandil's click and choose Save-As to save the file to your computer. Once saved on your computer double click on it to run it. Then I believe you need to reboot for the change to take effect.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Checked the link and it's fine.

9. mkmovies

mkmovies

thanks Elvandil & other guys also ....

10. pr1nce

pr1nce

hey guys. Actually I have the same problem but mine went further. Actually I cant even explore my drive. When I try to right-click/Explore, it also asks with which program to open. I'm pretty sure none of the system filesw have been moved since I didnt do it and other people on the computer dont know ehere the C: drive is lol.

I tried the reg file but it didnt work...I hope you can answer fast, Ill still try to fix it on my side and post if I get it :)

11. STUPIDGIRL

I still haven't got mine fixed, so far nothing has worked. But I can right click on it and go to open and that works.
    But now my "my computer" and my recycle bin have lost their icons and have the same thing that my C: drive now has. It's a white icon with a square with blue at the top and little red, blue and green spots in it. Although with my "my computer and my recycle bin I can still double click on them and they open.
    Short of reformatting my whole computer and starting from scratch, I don't know what else to try.
    If you figure out anything post back so I can try.

~susiejo

12. Hughv

Hughv

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f3/hard-drive-icon-gone-how-fix-155866/

Neither of these suggestions will do any harm, and are worth trying. I've heard of this problem several times recently, and I wonder of there isn't some common cause.

If your Start Menu is slow or your icons are black for some reason, it means your Shelliconcache file is corrupt and should be deleted.
    Delete the hidden file C:\WINDOWS\SHELLICONCACHE
    It will be recreated the next time you start Windows.

Easier way to reset icons then deleting SHELLICONCACHE.

There's no need to exit Windows and delete the SHELLICONCACHE file in order to reset icons that you may have changed (like Network Neighborhood).

Go to Control Panel, Display, Appearance Tab.
    Select Icon from the Item drop down list.
    Change the Size up or down one and apply.
    Change the Size back to your original and apply.

13. pr1nce

pr1nce

If noine of the above worked, I found another solution by looking around the net.
    1- FIrst turn off your system restore until its fixed (I dunno if its necessary, but those are the steps I followed)
    2- Then scan your system with your Anti-virus and delete all threat (last update of course)
    3- Then download the little registry fix Elvandil above in this tread (once again dunno if its necessary)
    4- Download this little program and follow th site's instructions.
    http://www.winhelponline.com/articl...on-a-mapped-network-drive-in-My-Computer.html
    It looks silly that clicking "Fix" will do the whole job, but it worked like a charm for me.
    Its virus fee when I scan it with Norton but if you're a smart person you will rescan it to make sue and won't put your whole system at risk because someone said it was clean ;)
    It's done, now it should work (at least for me). I find it ironic and almost pathetic that I was trying to clean the registry and going to safe mode and all when all I had to do what to click "Fix" lol
    Godd luck

pr1nce

14. yohanjackman

yohanjackman

MY God!!!! Couldn't you people just keep this simple??? Tell her to open it with Internet Explorer...Windows will realise its not a web page and switch to the normal explorer....and all will be well in the land....Geez!!

15. dostro

dostro

I didn't follow any of the steps Pr1nce suggested except for #4 (download the program, unzip it and click on the drive and press fix) and it worked. I also wasn't even able to open my C drive while using explore.

Thanks for the help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649146