Solved Can't open cd of saved pics

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sweetpetunia

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 7367 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8670D, 768 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 916 GB (829 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M11BB
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I cannot open a CD that has a lot of old photos that I saved years ago using another computer. I put in CD drive and it will open, but takes forever to show files currently on CD. When it does show the files and I click on it, it may or may not open. If the file opens all I get is a blank square where the photo belongs. Most of the time when I click on file it will suddenly stop responding. I have been told that the file is too big and I need to resize the pics, but can't do that if it doesn't open. Please tell me what I can do. Thank you,

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
And if that doesn't work (I'd try a few to start with) ....
You might try using another computer.

Agreed, I have had older CD's that were originally burned on Win XP in a different burner. If I try and load the disk on a newer Win7 machine with a different optical drive, it just blinks forever. But If I take it down stairs to an older XP machine it loads just fine. This is one reason I will probably keep an XP machine for quite sometime even though it will not be a internet machine. Also remember CD's are not meant to last forever so poorly made optical disks can fail over time when the more expensive ones will last a little longer (Taiyo Yuden disks are know to be superior to many others, and Verbatim are good as well).

plodr

Liz
The older computer might have had a program that opened the pictures. (One of our Dells came with JASC Paint Shop Photo Album).

Open Windows Explorer and post what is the 3 letter extension on the files on this CD. Don't attempt to open any of them.

sweetpetunia

Have you tried copy/paste on all of your pictures and put them in you computer.
I can't thank you enough because it worked...who knew? I would never have thought to do that and a few took several hours to transfer because the cd would stop responding, but I was finally able to get my old pictures. Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online