1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't open computer help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mister_Donke, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister_Donke

Mister_Donke Thread Starter

i can't open my computer. whenever i open it it says

file record segment 32691 is unreadable
    file record segment 30496 is unreadable
    etc etc

i try to open computer through safe mode and it freezes, then it restarts back to the beginning

2. thechanmane

thechanmane

Unfortunately, you have hard drive corruption. You can use the chkdsk utility to locate these bad sectors and hopefully repair them. The easiest (and often only) way to run the chkdsk utility on an unbootable computer is through a Windows installation CD or bootable floppy disks. If your computer can boot into safe mode with command prompt, you can also run chkdsk that way. Basic documentation for chkdsk can be found at Microsoft's website, here. For example, you would want to run "c: chkdsk /r" and then wait for it to complete it's diagnosis and repairs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice