1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open .DOC files in Microsoft works word processer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by momywoman, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momywoman

momywoman Thread Starter

I am new at this and I have Windows 7. I am trying to open an attachment to my mail and it keeps giving me this error message :" works cannot open. the file may be in use by another application, the file may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt." I need to remedy this problem ASAP as these files are needed for my childrens home schooling by Mon 08/30/10. CAN ANYONE HELP ME AND REMEMBER THAT I AM A BEGINNER. THANK YOU

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Try saving the attachment onto your desktop or into your documents. Then Open the Works Word Processor via the shortcut to that program, go to open, and navigate to the file.

If this fails consider downloading and installing the Free OpenOffice.org Office Suite.

3. Stephen.Li

Stephen.Li

Buy Office asap?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Word files can not be open using Works. Many years ago there was a version of Works, that did use Word, but it is ling gone. You need to get a copy of Office, most people can get by with using the Home and Student version and it can be installed on 3 different machines in the same household.

Yes, You can get OpenOffice but I think you will not be happy with it.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    For the moment get OpenOffice, it's free and it'll get you your content out of the file. If this is a .doc file you won't actually notice a whole load of difference, though OOo doesn't tend to render the flashiness of the newer 2007 suite very well.

6. S.G.C.

S.G.C.

Hello,

If you want to just view, print and copy Word documents then you can download Microsoft Word Viewer 2007. This application will allow you open any word document, but will NOT let you edit it. If you are looking to edit the document then I would purchase Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student for about $150. If you aren't looking to make fancy document anytime soon then like everyone else is saying just download OpenOffice and that should work just fine for you.

Below is the link to download Microsoft Word Viewer 2007
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...88-7cfa-457a-9aec-f4f827f20cac&displaylang=en

Hope this Helps

7. kathirteen

kathirteen

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice