Can't open documents or browsers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ProfABC

Dear Tech Support Guy

Greeting you, am sorry downloading your free system info utility is of no use in this case, the computer I am writing from not being the same as the laptop with the problem. In fact, it is because I cannot open any document or browser on the laptop that I am having to send this thread from another pc. How can you help?

Thanks and regards
ProfAbc

Edited by Administrator to add: Compaq Presario V6500 Laptop

Last edited by a moderator:

TerryNet

Terry
Assuming that you have done a Restart I would say that you have a very corrupted system. A system reinstall or backup to a previously saved image is probably in your future.

Just curious--can you open Notepad but just not open any text documents? Or can't even open Notepad as well as Internet Explorer?

Assuming that you have done a Restart I would say that you have a very corrupted system. A system reinstall or backup to a previously saved image is probably in your future.

Just curious--can you open Notepad but just not open any text documents? Or can't even open Notepad as well as Internet Explorer?
Just as insurance, do use a separate portable hard drive to back up data you do not want to lose, including a list of downloaded software. If this happens again you can completely refresh and reload a new or serviced unit with this data. I have done this and needed to use it. Good luck.

ProfABC

My apologies for not having replied earlier due to circumstances beyond my control. Nothing whatsoever can be opened. Its even worse now as it no longer gets pass the switch user when it boots.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then why are you using switch user?

plodr

Liz
If the button hasn't been removed, it appears on the lock screen, I think.

ProfABC are you stuck at the lock screen where you have to enter a username and password?
If so, we can't offer help until you are able to log into your computer.

If it is impossible for you to log in, the only thing I can suggest is for you to use a working computer to crete a linux live USB stick and boot the computer from that.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Switch user can not be used until a Window User account has been logged in.
And it can not be used on the Locked screen.

It would be nice if you could post a screen shot of this login screen.
You will need to use a cellphone of other camera

Have you tried the old fashioned way to log in? Turn on your computer, push the power button (not the usual log off) on the machine to turn it off completely. Push the power button again and keep pressing F8 until it boots up. It should display an option to start Windows in safe mode. You can remove your password and other accounts there. Push the power button afterwards and boot up normally. Might fix it.

plodr

Liz
OP has not appeared since 9/22 so is not viewing any of this thread.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online