Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't open documents or browsers

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dear Tech Support Guy

Greeting you, am sorry downloading your free system info utility is of no use in this case, the computer I am writing from not being the same as the laptop with the problem. In fact, it is because I cannot open any document or browser on the laptop that I am having to send this thread from another pc. How can you help?

Thanks and regards
ProfAbc

Edited by Administrator to add: Compaq Presario V6500 Laptop

#2 ·
Assuming that you have done a Restart I would say that you have a very corrupted system. A system reinstall or backup to a previously saved image is probably in your future.

Just curious--can you open Notepad but just not open any text documents? Or can't even open Notepad as well as Internet Explorer?

#3 ·
Assuming that you have done a Restart I would say that you have a very corrupted system. A system reinstall or backup to a previously saved image is probably in your future.

Just curious--can you open Notepad but just not open any text documents? Or can't even open Notepad as well as Internet Explorer?
Just as insurance, do use a separate portable hard drive to back up data you do not want to lose, including a list of downloaded software. If this happens again you can completely refresh and reload a new or serviced unit with this data. I have done this and needed to use it. Good luck.

#8 ·
If the button hasn't been removed, it appears on the lock screen, I think.

ProfABC are you stuck at the lock screen where you have to enter a username and password?
If so, we can't offer help until you are able to log into your computer.

If it is impossible for you to log in, the only thing I can suggest is for you to use a working computer to crete a linux live USB stick and boot the computer from that.

#9 ·
Switch user can not be used until a Window User account has been logged in.
And it can not be used on the Locked screen.

It would be nice if you could post a screen shot of this login screen.
You will need to use a cellphone of other camera

#10 ·
Have you tried the old fashioned way to log in? Turn on your computer, push the power button (not the usual log off) on the machine to turn it off completely. Push the power button again and keep pressing F8 until it boots up. It should display an option to start Windows in safe mode. You can remove your password and other accounts there. Push the power button afterwards and boot up normally. Might fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.