1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open file using Excel 2007 shortcut

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by thinkquick, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thinkquick

thinkquick Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7800 @ 2.60GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3581 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 112352 MB, Free - 46118 MB; D: Total - 2047 MB, Free - 1384 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0JM680
    Antivirus: PC Cleaner Pro, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

My antivirus is not PC Cleaner Pro. I decided not to purchase. I have Norton 360.

I have had icons on the desktop pointing to Excel 2007 inventory files. Now I get a message "Windows cannot find ....... .xls. Make sure you type the name correctly.."
    I can go into Excel 2007 and open it so I know the file is there but I can't get the shortcut to work.

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG Elizebeth!

You've got a couple of options.
    1. Right click on the short cut, go to properties and verify the target path is correct, if not change it.
    2. Go to the desired document in file explorer, right click, go to send to then desktop and make a new short cut, delete the one that doesn't work.

3. thinkquick

I have tried recreating the shortcuts. I have tried shortening the file name by creating the file folder higher up in the heirarchy. I also cannot access it the file directory so it makes sense the shortcut won't work. Only way to get to it is through Excel 2007 itself.

4. draceplace

draceplace

Are you working on a network? Sounds like a permissions issue.

5. thinkquick

Hi,
    Yes I have a LAN here at the house with 2 laptops on it. But the Excel file is locsated on the laptop I am having the problem with. Also this happens with Word documents, they cannot be shortcutted onto the desktop either. Same error message appears.
    Elizabeth

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice