1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open files in Outlook attachment folder OLK96

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ecomel, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecomel

ecomel Thread Starter

First Name:
    AARON
    I opened a word doc I received as an attachment in an e-mail and edited the document. I then saved under a new name without navigating to a preferred folder and apparently the document was saved in a folder called OLK96 which is in the Temporary Internet Files folder in User/Local Settings.
    Now I find I cannot navigate to this folder in order to open up the document again, the folder OLK96 does not appear in the Temporary Internet Folder when searching with Windows Explorer. I've got Show Hidden Files switched on in my folder options, and other files appear in the Temporary Internet Files folder but not the subfolder OLK96.
    I'm sure somebody else must have encountered this problem before, we all fall for the temptation to edit documents we have opened from e-mail attachments, don't we?

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

All I can say is Open another e-mail attachement, on the file menu click properties (of the file), on the general tab copy/paste the Path.

eg..

C:\Documents and Settings\ziggy\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK48

3. Krash

Krash

In Windows XP the folder for Outlook 2000 to 2003 is at
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK*.
    The OLK directory will end in a series of numbers.

Outlook 2007 uses
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content. Outlook\ 8A0VMD3A, where 8A0VMD3A can be any random
    characters.

Vista moves the Temp Internet folder to
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\,
    so you'll need to look there for the OLK or Content.Outlook folder.

You can find the location of the folder by looking in the registry at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security, look at
    the value for OutlookSecureTempFolder. You can change the folder to point to
    a new location, but be sure the new folder exists before changing it in the
    registry.

Note: 12.0 reflects the version of Outlook: i.e., Outlook 2007. Use 10.0 for
    Outlook 2002 and 11.0 for Outlook 2003.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice