cant open files with double click w7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

quincyboy

i am having trouble opening my files when i doudle click, i have to right click to open them. and when i double click i get a message saying .....(this file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel.) i have tried system restore point, default programs, and factory reset but it is still doing the same. i have scanned with norton,360,2010, and microsoft security essentials to make sure it wasent a virus. i am running on windows 7 64 bit amd athlion tf-20 1gb memory 160 hd.has anyone ideas in what i can do thanks.

Is it one filetype or all filetypes?

If only one filetype got mislinked you can simply reassociate it by right clicking and choosing "Open with.." then choose the program you normally open it with (for example if it is a txt file, the choose notepad), then check the box "always use this program to open files of type".

From then on notepad should open all text files on double click.

quincyboy

thanks for the tip but when i right click there is no open with ! on the menu and it is all folders i cant open including c drive any more ideas ? cheers

quincyboy

thanks for your help i have removed essensials and have tried restore and master reset but it is still the same !!! any more ideas

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online