can't open important programs like firewall and anti-virus, help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ikke777

I'm using sygate firewall and avira anti virus. They should startup at startup but they don't, I've tried starting them by hand but they won't. I've reinstalled sygate firewall, but it still doesn't start. Ive tried upgrading & reinstalling avira but the installation process just stops & disapears. I've tried to install AVG anti virus, but the installer crashes during extraction. I've tried to extract with winrar but the process crashes (that's a first; winrar never crashes!)
I've reactivated window firewall, but as no icon has apeared in the sys tray, I'm not sure it's working.

I have checked all program files directories and the boot sector for virusses with an online anti-virus prog: BitDefender, everything is clean.

I think the trouble started when a fuse blew in my house. But the computer din't seem to have any actual physical damage, so I don't know....
But needless to say windows was not shut down properly at that point.

specs:
Win XP SP2
Celeron 2.40GHz
1,25Gb ram

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do you have the XP install CD. Do not worry I am NOT going to suggest a reinstall

ikke777

I have an install CD that includes SP3

Yes, I would appriciate not reinstalling!

You need to get SP3 as Microsoft Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) will end on July 13, 2010. I think what Mac was going to have you do is run system file check (SFC). To run SFC click Start / Run and type in sfc /scannow ( make sure to leave a space between sfc and /scannow ) Then click OK. Have your installation cd handy as you will be asked for it if SFC finds missing files.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
ikke777:

Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 was the last version released over 5 years ago before Symantec bought out Sygate. It hasn't been updated since then, so I don't know why you're using it.

Uninstalling and reinstalling different anti-virus programs can cause problems and conflicts when remnants get left behind. Some anti-virus programs, such as McAfee and Norton and AVG, have a removal tool which should be used.

You might consider deleting the buildup of junk in these 2 temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

and then restarting. It sure won't hurt anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------

ikke777

de and reinstalling the anti virus I did as a solution, the problems were there before that.
And ofcouse I used the proper programs for that.

ikke777

I've run the scan but I didn't have the right disk and there was no report at the end, so it wasn't terrible helpfull.

will installing SP3 now help matter or make them worse?

Re start your computer , while its re starting keep tapping F8 key this will take you into the safe mode. you should see a display on the page to click no to do a systemrestore click on that and choose a restore point before the problem happened

ikke777

Oh! I think I did that already
because the system hung at some point

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online