1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open inbox!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tushkahoma, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tushkahoma

tushkahoma Thread Starter

I am having a problem with outlook 2002, I just installed it but it will not let me open the "inbox" although I can receive messages and I can see the number of messages I just can't open them. Have already reinstalled the software with the same results. Any suggestion?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    What do you mean you can't open them? You double-click the folder in the folder list or from the shortcut bar? What happens if you try the OTHER way?

The thing is, your shortcuts could be fouled, but your folder list should always let you view them.

You may want to run Detect and Repair under the Help menu either way, because it'll restore your shortcuts too.

3. tushkahoma

Thanks for responding,
    I actually have ran detect and repair, and even if I double click on the link in the folder list all I see is "unable to open folder" all the other folders open, sent, deleted ect. The problem is only with the folder "Inbox"

Very Weird

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Okay, sounds like it's corrupt to me. There's a few things you can do at this point, and it's what I'd do, and in the order I'd do it:

Run a repair on your PST file:
    (http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm)

If that doesn't work, create a new PST file. Grab each of your current folders that contain anything and copy them into your new PST file. (File-New, Personal folder, blah, blah.) Get everything in there that you possibly can, doesn't matter what order, but just put them in folder names you'll recognize and all in one folder. Then Export that file to a PST. (File-Import and Export, to a personal folder file, blah, blah, put it somewhere you remember, call it Outlook.pst)

Close Outlook, find and rename the Outlook.pst that outlook is currently using (it WON'T be the one you just created, so don't use that one) and rename it to OldOutlook.pst. Put your new outlook.pst in the same folder as OldOutlook.pst. Open Outlook and it should have your folders in there. Drag all the messages and stuff into the appropriate folders again.

Sounds like a lot to do, but that's because I tend to run off at the mouth. It's not much, really.

5. tushkahoma

Thanks Dreamboat,
    Now that sounds like a plan, I will give it a shot and post the results.
    Thanks again

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Good luck!

7. tushkahoma

What we ended up doing was just deleting the users profile from the exchange server and making a new one, works great now. Thanks for the information that you gave me.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice