1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open links since windows 7 update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mickeyjunior, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mickeyjunior

mickeyjunior Thread Starter

I am using windows 7 and ever since my last update, I am unable to click on most links. What happens is, a new tab opens up with FB, CNN, and various other icons. If I click on one of them a new identical tab opens up. This same tab opens up sometimes, when I click on some websites too. I tried to restore to a date previous to the latest update, but as soon as I shut the computer down, the updates were reinstalled. I could do this again and disable the new updates, but this is not recommended. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem? Thanks.

2. ETech7

ETech7

Does it happen with all browsers?
    Try installing updates one by one to see which one is causing that and then troubleshoot it.

3. mickeyjunior

I use internet explorer and often see a message saying internet explorer not working. When I close the window, the site or link will open up. Sometimes I don't get the message and the link will never open.

4. ETech7

ETech7

Try ressetting IE (Internet Options / Advanced / Reset...), also consider trying FireFox or Chrome.

5. mickeyjunior

I just installed google chrome and it seems to be working better. Any idea why the windows updates are causing this problem in explorer? I never had this problem before. BTW. Thanks for your help. This has been driving me crazy for a few days.

6. mickeyjunior

Is that a safe option? For the most part, the Explorer is working.

7. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi, while you are here.
    Download Security Check by screen317 from
    http://screen317.spywareinfoforum.org/
    Or
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/securitycheck/

Save it to your Desktop.
    Double click the install icon.
    If using Vista - Win 7 - right click the install icon and select "Run as Administrator"
    A command Prompt window will open.
    Let it scan the Pc - press any key when asked.
    It should now open in Notepad.
    Copy and Paste the result of the scan in the reply box below.

The saved log will be called checkup.txt.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice