1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open Microsoft Word Program or Word documents

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jerboa, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jerboa

jerboa Thread Starter

Running Win XP on a home built Intel Core 2 duo platform. Just started within the last week or so. I can open the software from the CD, but not from my hard drive

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do you mean "Open"? You start Word, go to File, choose to open a file you have on your computer, and it won't open? Does it give you any message? What does it do?

Why would the program be on a CD? Do you have it installed on your computer?

3. jerboa

jerboa Thread Starter

Microsoft Office 2000 has been installed on my hard drive for a long time. Excel works fine , Powerpoint works fine, I boot up, click on a MS word document and nothing happens. So I go to start,select Microsoft word and nothing happens. Can't open MS word or MS word document. Go to start, run, enter winword.exe and nothing happens. Then I insert the original MS Office disk in the dvd reader, click on the Dvd icon, click on search, find winword.exe and click. MS word then opens.

So I can open it from the original CD, but not from the hard drive. Frustrating. Any advice is appreciated.

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Have you tried re-running setup from the disk? There should be an advanced option within the setup process that will allow you to specifically select which app you want to install from the suite. Does Winword.exe even reside on your machine? Do a Windows search to see if the exe file even exists locally. It should be under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE# (where # is your version of Office)

Rollin

5. jerboa

jerboa Thread Starter

The exe file is on the hard drive. It doesn't respond. I've tried update and reinstall options from the CD and still can't access MS Word. There is some error in the start up that is blocking access to Word, but I can't find it.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Check you log files under Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >>Event Viewer

Anything informative there?

Rollin

7. HaydnWVN

HaydnWVN

Check your Anti-Virus program is up to date & run a scan, also run a malware scan, Uninstall Office, reboot, run 'sfc /scannow', verify you have all Windows and Office updates, reinstall Office, reboot, verify you have alll Windows and Office updates again, see if the issue has been resolved.

One of the solutions above will hopefully fix what's causing the issue - if you're fairly confident in your security then skip the AV and malware parts and just run the System File Checker and reinstall parts, hope that helps :)

8. jerboa

jerboa Thread Starter

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I followed them and can now open MS Word documents.

9. HaydnWVN

HaydnWVN

Great news!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1022906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice