1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open my tax program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GAinGA, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GAinGA

GAinGA Thread Starter

When I attempt to install TurboTax software, it seems to install
    properly, but from the prompt to open the program at the end of installation, or the desktop icon, or directly from the tt.exe, file I always get the error message: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - "Runtime Error! abnormal program termination".

I have tried 2 different CD's and exhausted all suggestions from TT support, so I'm sure the problem is in my computer.

The first time I copied the CD to my HD and installed in safe mode, the program actually opened, but when I restarted in normal mode, I got the above error msg. again.

Subsequent attempts to install in safe mode caused a new problem. About half way through, I got error message: "Installation Failed - Error #113 - cannot open a
    file as read only".

In normal mode, it's the same as before, installs but won't open.

I use WIN98SE and everything else seems to work normally. Also, I still have the last 5 years of TT on my HD and they work.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions to fix this.

Many thanks,

GA

2. MI Mouse

MI Mouse

GA,

Have you checked for spyware? If not, you may want to try running Ad-aware or Spybot.

HTH

3. A Hawk

A Hawk

4. GAinGA

GAinGA Thread Starter

Thanks to MI Mouse. I needed to run Ad-aware anyway.

Also, Thanks Hawk. I installed the upgrade, but so far I still can't get past the Runtime error message.

I did, however, get TurboTax to open in safe mode. It goes through all the steps until I have to go on-line to activate. then, when I restart in normal mode, "abnormal program termination" error msg. every time I click on the Program icon.

Could there be another upgrade I need?

Thanks,
    GA

5. MI Mouse

MI Mouse

GA,

Sorry, I've run out of suggestions. I checked Turbo Tax's Support Site, however, you said that you've already tried their suggested fixes to no avail.

After checking some reviews, looks like you're not the only one encountering problems. Hopefully, someone will come along with a fix. Good luck - I know it must be very frustrating for you.

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-3227903-1218-20714499.html?tag=subnav

6. GAinGA

GAinGA Thread Starter

I guess it's a little late to be doing my homework.
    I'm on CNET's mailing list, so I really have no excuse.

MI Mouse, I went to the link you posted and I think it provides
    all the answer I need!

That's what I get for trusting what's been good in the past.

Lesson learned.

Regards,
    GA

7. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086

GAinGA - Hi. Remember, when/if you uninstall Turbo Tax for 2002, it will not uninstall all the files it installed. It will leave a protection file that may block future software or other files from being used. It is called CDilla. Use caution with Turbo Tax.

Steve-x8086

8. GAinGA

GAinGA Thread Starter

Steve-x8086 -

Thanks. This is important advice for all users of TT 2002. After
    uninstalling TurboTax, you can go to the TT website where they
    provide a link (probably in response to all the irate customers)
    to a program you can download that uninstalls C-Dilla.

I did and it appears to completely remove all the sneaky files,
    at least in Win98SE.

:cool: GA

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/121505