1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open Outlook Express- appears I lost

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by metaltech, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metaltech

metaltech Thread Starter

messages as well....I'm trying to copy and past data from IR on old PC to new PC. Using Win 98 on old PC.

Problem is I cannot open OE, saying low disk space or missing component. I simply have been copying and pasting 16 files (total about 2.54 MB) into new program & pc. Not working. What is the files extension for messages? Its looking like messages dissappeared. Can I do a system restore? Any quick way to find out of I'm toast.

TIA- They're pretty important. Just bought external hard drive to also backup.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi metaltech

On old PC, you will not need to open Outlook Express this way,
    Find > Files and Folders
    key in:
    *.dbx
    copy ALL the .dbx files to a folder.
    (If you drag all the .dbx files out of their directory, Outlook Express may open after that)

The following procedure is best if the receiving Identity does not already contain messages you want to keep.
    As, the Inbox will be overwritten.

On the new computer open Outlook Express, locate the directory for the .dbx files.
    File > Tools > Maintenance tab > Store folder

Close Outlook Express.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to that directory.
    Drag or paste All the .dbx files into that directory.
    Verify the .dbx files are not marked Read-only.

Open Outlook Express to see your new folders.

Let us know if this works or not.

3. metaltech

metaltech Thread Starter

I'm doing a search of .dbx files on old pc and nothing comes up. I'm afaris they may have been deleted in attempting to creat disk space.

The entire OE program file is about 2.5 MB, so I am hoping that the messages are in there. The files that are the largest are the msoe.dll and msoeres.dll.

Could the messages (approx. 1,000) be in here still? Could I do a system restore on Win 98? Could I at least try and locate attachments (Word, excel etc..) in a directory/folder that OE would normally place them in?
    TIA Bob

4. EAFiedler

If you are using Outlook Express versions 5 or 6 the messages are in .dbx files.

What directory does
    File > Tools > Maintenance tab > Store folder
    show?

Do you have Show Hidden Files and Folders enabled?

For Windows 98:
    Open Windows Explorer,
    View > Folder Options > View tab,
    Verify that Show hidden files and folders is checked.

The files msoe.dll and msoeres.dll are files needed by Outlook Express to run properly, they do not contain messages.

5. metaltech

metaltech Thread Starter

File > Tools > Maintenance tab > Store folder Cannot get to cause...
    cannot even open OE- says msoe.dll not initializing and may not be installed correctly Show all files is checked....

6. EAFiedler

Ooops :eek:
    Forgot what you said earlier, my bad :eek:

Do a search for Identities then navigate to that directory in Windows Explorer.

You should see a folder with a really long number like so:
    {E006D5D9-0388-4C63-8AB2-368AD966CBD9}
    Your number will not be the same.

In a similar directory:
    C:\...\Application Data\Identities\{E006D5D9-0388-4C63-8AB2-368AD966CBD9}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Sorry, I do not have Windows 98 available to find the exact path.

Let me know what you find.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice