1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open PDFs by double-clicking on them... Help!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by v_roma, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. v_roma

v_roma Thread Starter

Hi,
    I installed a trial version of Acrobat Writer 6.0. After the trial was over, I uninstalled it planning on going back to the free reader to view PDFs. But after that, I could never open PDFs by simply double-clicking on them. I can open them by right-clicking, chosing "Open With" and then choosing Adobe Reader 6.0. I have tried uninstalling and installing Reader again (including deleting all acrobat folders). I also confirmed that Adobe Reader is selected as the program to open PDF files. Any ideas?
    Thanks much,
    v_roma

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

What Operating System are you using?

3. v_roma

v_roma Thread Starter

Win XP

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Ok, then try this:

Right click > Open with > Choose program (at the bottom of the list)
    then click the Adobe Reader and be sure to check the box in the lower left that says "Always use this" Click apply > Click OK
    Now it should open the reader with a double click

5. v_roma

v_roma Thread Starter

For some reason, I didn't get an email notification of your last reply, otherwise I would have replied sooner. As for your advice, I had already tried doing that before and it didn't fix it. Any other ideas? Thanks!!

6. zdog

zdog

Adobe has had quite a few problems with version 6.0. I read somewhere that they have released a patch or newer version that should fix it. You might try downloading it and see if that helps.

7. v_roma

v_roma Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I installed the latest version. Either way, I couldn't find any patches for reader. I believe the problems you (and I) have heard of are for writer.

8. v_roma

v_roma Thread Starter

All fixed. For future reference, it was a registry problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice