1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't open pictures

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by confederatemule, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. confederatemule

confederatemule Thread Starter

I am trying to burn photos to a CD. I have no problem burning them to a CD-R or a CD-RW. I can open them on my computer. I want several copies to be sent to other people, I don't know how these people will be opening them.

I took the original CD's to a friend to be copied & burned to the other CD's. When he finished he tried to open them on his computer. The CD's would open, but the photos would not open. The only ones that would open correctly were the originals that I sent him. I tried them on my computer and had the same results.

Stretched across the middle of the screen, where the photo should be, we get a message that reads; "Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either photo viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest update to Photo Viewer."

Can anyone explain to me how I can get these photos to a CD and people be able to open them, no matter what type of machine they are using?

Thanks for any help.
    Mule

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like the files were not copied/burned properly.

You know the photos are good and your disc works. So your friend has a hardware issue or did something wrong.

If you are just burning them as data, you don't need to do anything special for them to work. Just burn them as data, copy the existing disc, or create an iso of the existing disc and burn more discs from the image.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

if you burn it as follows - and then he simply copies it - it should play on all computers and most players
    Choose the Mastered format when you need a disc that will play on any computer or in some different consumer electronic devices, such as CD, DVD, and Blu‑ray Disc players, that can play digital music files, pictures, or video files.

1. Insert a writable disc, such as a CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, or DVD+RW disc, into your computer's CD, DVD, or Blu‑ray Disc burner.
    2. In the AutoPlay dialog box that appears, click Burn files to disc using Windows Explorer.
      If the AutoPlay dialog box doesn't appear, click the Start button [​IMG], click Computer, and then double-click your disc burner.
    3. In the Burn a Disc dialog box, type a name for this disc in the Disc title box, click With a CD/DVD player, and then click Next.
    4. Open the folder that contains the files you want to burn, and then drag the files into the empty disc folder.
      To select more than one item, press and hold the Ctrl key, and then click the files you want to burn.
    5. On the toolbar, click Burn to disc, and then follow the steps in the wizard.
      The selected files are copied to the disc. When the disc burning is complete, the disc burner tray will open and you can remove the disc. You can now use the disc in another computer or in some CD or DVD players. The disc session is already closed.
    However as my colleague has said

Also have your friend check what file format his burned CD`s are
    Windows Photo Viewer can only view .jpg and .jpeg, .tif and .tiff, .png, .gif, .bmp and .dib, .wdp file types.
    For more information refer this link: Understanding picture file types
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Understanding-picture-file-types
    You may follow the steps below:
    1. Right click on any one of the picture and select Open With and click Change Default program.
    2. Now select the Windows Photo Viewer in the list.
    3. Now put a check mar for “Always use a selected program to open this kind of file”.
    You may also try opening the same picture using Paint and check if you are able to open without any issues.
    Check if you don't have file extensions displayed by default, right-click on an offending image and look at the file's name.
    If you have not set it as default program to open images, do this :
    Change which programs Windows uses by default
    A default program is the program that Windows uses when you open a particular type of file, such as a music file, an image, or a webpage. For example, if you have more than one web browser installed on your computer, you can choose one of them to be the default browser.
    Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Default Programs.
    In Default Programs, you can:
    ยท Set your default programs. Use this option to choose which programs you want Windows to use by default. If you want to use your Windows Live Photo Gallery or Photo Gallery to open all photos, use this option.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice