1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open Quicktime player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tweety daughter, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tweety daughter

tweety daughter Thread Starter

We used to be able to open and use Quicktime player, and now we can't. I get an error message that says, "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode or if Windows installer is not correctly installed".
    The computer is not in Safe mode, and Quicktime was working before.

My daughter told me she got this message as well when she tried to do something but she can't remember what it was.

I now have an icon on my desktop called winmail.dat. It was not there before and I am not sure a) why it is there now and b) what I should do with it.

Thanks

2. tweety daughter

3. smbd

smbd

Theoretically that error is an RPC error (RPC_E_SERVERFAULT). There are several problems that can cause this error message.

Maybe the Windows Installer service is disabled on the machine. From the Start menu select Run and type "services.msc". Double-click on the service named "Windows Installer". Check the value in the 'Startup type:' field. If it's currently set to "Disabled", then this is the problem. Change it by selecting "Manual" from the drop-down box.

Please see also the following articles in the Microsoft knowledge base:

315346 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315346): Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error Message When You Add or Remove Program
    315353 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315353): "The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error Message When You Install Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP
    324906 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324906): Cannot Start an Office Program After You Install Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows 2000
    Extending the steps in article 315353 you can try the following:

net start msiserver (may already be running, but see if there are errors)
    net stop msiserver (check for errors) Then do the regserver bit again, and try the above again to see if you get the errors.
    All else fails, try a reboot.
    On Windows NT/2000/XP or above: Make sure that SYSTEM has full privileges to the root of the boot partition (and to System32). To do this, right click the boot drive (typically C:) and select Properties > Security. If SYSTEM is not listed with Full control, click > Add > SYSTEM > Full control > Allow.

4. tweety daughter

Hi smbd. I tried the intructions you left, but had no luck. Here is what I did:

Verify the location of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk. To do so: a. Click Start, and then click Search.
    b. Click All files and folders.
    c. In the File name box, type msiexec.exe, and then click Search.
    d. In the search results, make a note of the location of the Msiexec.exe file.

The location of the Msiexec.exe file should be similar to the following example, where Drive is the drive where Windows is installed, and %Windir% is the folder where Windows is installed:
    Drive:\%Windir%\System32
    An example of this is C:\Windows\System32.

Note In Microsoft Windows 98-based computers, the Msiexec.exe file is located in the Drive:\%Windir%\System folder.
    e. On the File menu, click Close.

2. Verify the location of the Msiexec.exe file in the Windows Registry. To do so: a. Click Start, and then click Run.
    b. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    c. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer
    d. In the right pane, double-click ImagePath.
    e. In the Edit String dialog box, make sure that the string in the Value data box contains the correct path of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk that you determined earlier in step 1.

For example, if the Msiexec.exe file is located in the Drive:\Windows\System32 folder on your hard disk, the correct path of the Msiexec.exe file in the Value data box is the following path, where Drive is the drive where Windows is installed:
    Drive:\Windows\System32\Msiexec.exe /V
    Note If you are using Windows 98, the correct path of the Msiexec.exe file is Drive:\Windows\System\Msiexec.exe /V.

If the Value data box does not contain the correct path, make the appropriate changes to correct the path, and then click OK.
    f. Quit Registry Editor.

3. Start your computer in safe mode, and then register the Msiexec.exe file. To do so: a. Shut down, and then restart your computer.
    b. Press F8 after you receive the following message:
    Please select the operating system to start
    c. On the Windows Advanced Option menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
    d. If you use a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the appropriate operating system from the list that is displayed, and then press ENTER.
    e. Log on to the computer.
    f. Click Start,, click Run, type the following line, and then click OK:
    msiexec /regserver

When i got to the last step (f) I got the message that the computer could not find msiexec /regserver.

What now??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice