1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open some email attachments even after downloading file conversion utility

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zzat, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzat

zzat Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 446 Mb
    Graphics Card: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114463 MB, Free - 106281 MB;
    Motherboard: , P4M800CE-8237, ,
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Help - I have problems with certain attachments on YahooMail. I was told that this was because they were sent from a Windows 7/MS Word version (more modern than XP) and that downloading a file conversion from Microsoft would enable me to open them all. Not so! I downloaded the sucker (the vile conversion -file version 12.0.6500.5000), but when I attempt to open the attachment, it only then gives the option to save, and after I save it to desktop, for example, it still won't open - just says do I want to save it again? Anyone else have experience with this problem?

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

I know this sounds like a "Weird" response but this sometimes works:
    A friend of mine had a similar problem with his XP and he couldn't save pics. sent to him by someone with Win7, so I told him to:

Try forwarding the Email in question to Yourself and then the one you receive from yourself should or could work.

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Downloading the file conversion utility isn't enough - it has to be installed before it can open a file of type DOCX or other Office 2007/10 files. You might need to go into Control Panel>Folder Options>File Associations to persuade XP that those new filename extensions are allowed.

Which filename extensions are you troubled by?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice