1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't open txt in excel with the open with command

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by anewtech, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anewtech

anewtech Thread Starter

I just recently upgraded from office 2003 to office 2007. I used to be able to right click a text file and use "open with" to open it in excel. Since the upgrade I am no longer able to do that. It simply displays the hourglass briefly and then nothing. I can open the excel program and choose open from the menu to open this type of file but I would like to understand why it is behaving this way and how I can reenable the open with excel from the right click menu. I have tried to select a program and then browse to the excel.exe but it doesn't help and I have tried to uninstall and then reinstall the entire office suite and it didn't make a difference. any suggestions? Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    when you right click on a file - does it just hang - or a menu appear - you should get a menu appear

3. anewtech

anewtech Thread Starter

Yes I get the menu and then I choose "open with" then eithert click excel or click "choose default program" and then browse to excel and choose that one either way it gives the hoourglass icon like it is going to open then does absolutly nothing the icon returns to normal and nothing happens the operation doesn't hang or anything I can do this repeatedly and get the same result with no hang at all.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Why would you want to open a text file in Excel?
    There is nothing there in Excel that a text file can use.

5. anewtech

anewtech Thread Starter

Even though I do apprecieate the reply, I can't say that it is helpful. For your information I have to open it in an excel file so I can run it through a script that turns it in to something useful. I can open this on every other computer in the building this way and it works fine from the open command on the file menu on this computer. It is a matter of convenience and to save time. Do you have a helpful comment (I sure could use one). Thank you for your time.

6. feiginlg

feiginlg

txt files may have data to be editted by excel

7. Big Pat

Big Pat

Couple of things to try:
    1. Do you have a text file that was created/pasted from Excel/Access/similar? Such a file might have data formatted in such a way that excel would "understand".

2. Try having Excel open (maybe to a blank workbook) BEFORE you right-click. Does that work?

8. valleyboy

valleyboy

when you open the txt in the menu option in excel does the script automatically run or do you press a button?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice