can't open txt in excel with the open with command

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

anewtech

I just recently upgraded from office 2003 to office 2007. I used to be able to right click a text file and use "open with" to open it in excel. Since the upgrade I am no longer able to do that. It simply displays the hourglass briefly and then nothing. I can open the excel program and choose open from the menu to open this type of file but I would like to understand why it is behaving this way and how I can reenable the open with excel from the right click menu. I have tried to select a program and then browse to the excel.exe but it doesn't help and I have tried to uninstall and then reinstall the entire office suite and it didn't make a difference. any suggestions? Thanks for any advice in advance.

etaf

Wayne
when you right click on a file - does it just hang - or a menu appear - you should get a menu appear

anewtech

Yes I get the menu and then I choose "open with" then eithert click excel or click "choose default program" and then browse to excel and choose that one either way it gives the hoourglass icon like it is going to open then does absolutly nothing the icon returns to normal and nothing happens the operation doesn't hang or anything I can do this repeatedly and get the same result with no hang at all.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Why would you want to open a text file in Excel?
There is nothing there in Excel that a text file can use.

anewtech

Even though I do apprecieate the reply, I can't say that it is helpful. For your information I have to open it in an excel file so I can run it through a script that turns it in to something useful. I can open this on every other computer in the building this way and it works fine from the open command on the file menu on this computer. It is a matter of convenience and to save time. Do you have a helpful comment (I sure could use one). Thank you for your time.

Couple of things to try:
1. Do you have a text file that was created/pasted from Excel/Access/similar? Such a file might have data formatted in such a way that excel would "understand".

2. Try having Excel open (maybe to a blank workbook) BEFORE you right-click. Does that work?

when you open the txt in the menu option in excel does the script automatically run or do you press a button?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online