1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open Widows XP (Home)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WindjammerII, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WindjammerII

WindjammerII Thread Starter

Hi,

I can't seem to get into windows XP (Home), computer keeps rebooting by itself. When I try to get into safe mode, it will just reboot again and again.

I installed the quick restore application recovery CD but the computer fails to recognize it and it continues to reboot.

2. sockey99

sockey99

Check bios/setup to make sure CD drive is first boot device. If not, set it to first boot and try CD again.

3. WindjammerII

Can you tell me how to Check bios/setup? Nothing I do seems to work, I tried safe mode, last known confif that works, enable boot logging and almost everything there but the computer just returns to rebooting over and over.

4. sockey99

sockey99

Do you have the manual that came with the machine? There is a section towards the back about the bios. Page thru there and find "Boot Configuration". Once we enter setup on the computer, this is what will be looking for.
    It appears the the first boot device is the hard drive which has something corrupted that causes the reboots. What we have to do is set the bios so that the CD is looked at for a bootable CD (the recovery disk) before it goes to look for a boot sector on the hard drive.
    To enter bios setup;
    Put recovery CD in drive and shutdown.
    Restart computer.
    First display is Mfg's Logo.
    Next is a black screen that shows CPU,Memory, Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary master, etc.
    At the bottom of this page is a message that says something like
    "Press ------- to enter setup", blank is a key on the keyboard, it may be F1, F2, DEL or something else.
    Press that key before the page changes.
    If you miss it, start over.
    The first setup page should now be displayed.
    Navigation from page to page and on each page is displayed at the bottom, Arrows, Plus ,minus,enter,etc.. and maybe some F keys.
    Goto the page with boot sequence and set CD to a lower number than HDD.
    Goto EXIT Page and select "Exit and SAVE changes" yes yes
    Computer should restart and boot from CD.

Send computer specs.

5. WindjammerII

I located the manual for this Compaq laptop, but it referred me to a documents CD that came with the computer - of course I can't access it because the computer won't work!

I pressed F-10 and got set-up page. It contained the following menus but it seems none contain what you are talking about. No arrows or F keys.

File - Security - Tools - Advanced

Under the Tools menu it offered an HDD self-test

Under Advanced the menu contains Language- Boot Option and Device options. Boot options contains nothing helpful only QuickBoot or MultiBoot , also Boot order, multi-bay, Floppy and hard drive.

I’m really lost now!

6. sockey99

sockey99

"Boot Order" is what Compaq uses for boot sequence. Open boot order and you should be able to make CD first or #1 boot device.

7. WindjammerII

Sockeye - I really do appreciate you hanging with me on this. i'm so lost!

I don't see the CD as being a first choice option.
    The boot option only shows:
    Note book MultiBay (first)
    Notebookfloppy (second)
    Notebook hard drive (third)

Which of these should I make first?

(I made floppy first but it didn't work so I changed it back to the order above)

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What is the make and model of the notebook you are using?

9. WindjammerII

Compaq Presario 1500

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

There are 174 different models under the 1500 series. I need to know the whole number it is something like Compaq Presario 1500AP Notebook

I want to get the correct information for you.

11. WindjammerII

Well I'm stumped - it only says Presario 1500 on top - on the bottom of the computer I found this= SERIES PP2140 - It doesn't sound like what you're asking for - a check of the manual reveals nothing!

(P.S. I don't think there's anyone left elder to me - is that why I have so much trouble with computers?? Just too damed old!!! - haha)

12. WindjammerII

13. sockey99

sockey99

I wonder what "MultiBay" means? Is This the Bay for Cd drive as well as some other?
    Anybody with a Compaq help out here.
    Wind, the HDD is in the right place, #3 or last.

14. WindjammerII

15. sockey99

sockey99

If that's the boot drive, put in the CD, restart , when the black screen shows "Press any key to boot from CD", you have 4 seconds to press any kay on the keyboard, or elst it looks for boot floppy and then HDD.

What I'm worried about is that Compac uses some "F key" instead of any key.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice