1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't open Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Beth Gustafson, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth Gustafson

Beth Gustafson Thread Starter

I've had problems with Word recently. When scanning my PC Norton found 4 bad files, quarantined 3 and wasn't able to delete or quarantine the 4th. (I went to Symantec and did everything suggested to exercise the nimba virus.) I've scanned my PC numerous times since and it never finds the 4th file. I reloaded Word today; I was able to open it once and now I can't. One time today I got a message that said something about closing Explorer, which is odd because I wasn't even connected to the internet.

Last week I once got a message that said I didn't have enough disk space to open word, when nothing else was open.

Can something be running that I'm not aware of?
    If so, how do I find out?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I am at my wits end!

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Can you please try opening Word and telling us exactly what happens NOW and tell us the exact error messages? Sorry, but the ones you're giving us are pretty unspecific.

The one you got last week (out of memory) is classic of the Nimda virus.

If you can't delete that file while in Windows, try hitting Start-shutdown-Restart in MS DOS mode and deleting it from there. If the path to the file is, for instance, C:\my documents\filetodel.doc, then type the following at the C:\ prompt:

del c:\my_doc~1\fileto~1.doc

and hit Enter.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice