1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't open .wps file when I upgraded to Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ecowarrior, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ecowarrior

Ecowarrior Thread Starter

When I upgraded my system from Windows 98SE to WindowsXP I found that my .wps files open up but the text of the body are just jibberish. Windows XP asks me to open it up using other programs but none work. The text in the body of my documents is just jibberish but the title is ok. How does one go about getting the proper text back?

Sincerely

EcoWarrior

2. colmaca

colmaca

3. Ecowarrior

Thanks for that. Yes they were created using MS Works. I will check out the link you sent and let you know what I found.

Sincerely
    EcoWar

4. Ecowarrior

Well after numerous attempts of trying, I still can't get the .wps documents to open. I downloaded the converter software that's suppose to open these files up when the original documents were created using Works.

I'm not even sure if the converter software got properly downloaded because the 'Instructions for use' write that: (1) In the program you're running, on File Menu, click open. (2) Then in Files of Type: box, scroll down and select Work 6.0. It doesn't show Work 6.0 in the list. Maybe I'm just not up enough on this stuff, but it would seem to me that if it downloaded properly shouldn't I see it in 'Files of Type'?

It's all a big mystery to me. Hope somebody can help me on this.

5. Sequal7

Sequal7

When the documents open, what program are they opening in? (ms word, wordpad, notepad, etc)

Have you tried to reinstall or repair works?

6. Ecowarrior

When I open 'My Documents' folder, the files show Wordpad icons to the left of the title. If I open a document it is in Wordpad with the body of the text is jibberish. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but I did have Works running on my computer. When I upgraded to Windows XP I formatted the whole drive that was running Windows 98SE and therfore lost Works 2000. Is that what you meant about reinstalling Works or repairing it?

7. colmaca

colmaca

you will need to reinstall works then you will be able to read them(y)

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

9. Sequal7

Sequal7

Yes, your files exist, but wordpad cannot read the formatting of them.
    You can either reinstall works 6, or if you dont ahve the disks, download the word viewer, this may allow you to read the documents, but you wont be able to edit them. You can copy and paste the text in wordpad, which is part of the XP operating system.
    (I am not positive the this program will read works, but its worth a try It will read word documents so it may also open works)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...87-8732-48d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&displaylang=en

EDIT: LOL :D Noyb beat me to the punchline....

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Sorry bout that. :)
    Let me add - I think the works vewer will read the wps directly - but I can't test this hunch.

11. Ecowarrior

Brilliant, you're all simply brilliant. I downloaded the viewer software and it does indeed open these files. I guess the converter software needs the viewer software to work. Thanks again to all you very smart people out there for your wonderful help. Tech Support Guy people are fantastic.

Sincerely
    E.W.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice