Can't output audio over SPDIF

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Itamaram

Motherboard: ASUS P5K Pro
Graphics Card: ASUS EN8600GT

I've purchased this computer a while back, and picked this specific graphics card for its capability to output sound over DVI (And even via HDMI when using the bundled DVI -> HDMI adapter). However, due to myriad reasons I did not get to actually test this capability until yesterday.

It was a failure.

I've opened the case and confirmed that my graphics card is indeed connected to the SPDIF-out on my motherboard as needed, and that's about as far as I've got.
I was unable to make the HDMI show up on any diagnostic tool, and so I was unable to direct any audio out of it. I was also, unable to enable 'digital audio' on my 'master volume' interface. Another program which might be relevant is 'Realtek HD audio manager' which had been bundled with my sound drivers. (onboard sound).

Can anyone offer any help?

Itamaram

This is the only place in which SPDIF is mentioned. However, it is disabled there.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, and it did not change anything.
I'm using the converter which was bundled with the graphics card to convert one of the DVI outputs into an HDMI, which is connected to my TV.

Triple6

Rob
Is there an option in the BIOS to enable SPDIF/Digital?

Triple6

Rob
Ok, what if you go to the Control Panel and then to Sounds? Under Playback does it show the Digital output there? Is it enabled and set as the default device?

Itamaram

I have a chouce between 2 output devices, "Realtek HD Audio output" and "Realtek HD Audio 2nd output". I know that the first one is my speakers, and so I'm guessing the second one is my spdif output (Although that or may not be the case). However, setting it to my default device resulted in a fairly silent outcome.

Itamaram

Already updated my nVidia drivers, as well as my audio drivers.

And those are the digital settings.

Triple6

Rob
And you're sure the SPDIF cable is correctly attached? I assume the TV is displaying the video but without sound? Have you tired to contact Asus tech support?

Itamaram

No, I'm not sure the SPDIF is correctly attached, but I am fairly certain it is. I was unable to find a photo anywhere which would confirm this is the correct way.

The TV indeed displays an image. This would happen even if the SPDIF was missing though.

And no, I am yet to talk to ASUS tech support. Should I post something on the forum in the ASUS website? Or is there a more appropriate manner in which I should contact them?

Triple6

Rob
You should make sure its connected correctly, refer to the manual for the video card and motherboard, both available online if you don't have them handy, as to the orientation of the cable and which of the 4 pins to use on the motherboard.

Itamaram

The connection to the motherboard is definitely correct. There is only one way in which I can plug it.
The connection to the graphics card is a different story, as it can go in one of 2 possible ways, and the card's manual is not very specific. However, when the connection is in the position which I assume is incorrect, I only have one device listed in my possible outputs, as opposed to my current 2...

Triple6

Rob
Ok, so it would seem thats good that it sees a second device. I don't know why its not working.

Itamaram

Alright then. I'll try moving on to another forum.
Thanks for your time and help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts