Cant partiton or format a HDD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

renegade X

I had a HDD that I tried to convert to NTFS and it went bad. Now I have that hard drive as slave on the secondary IDE controller, but windows will not format it. Partition Magic formats it, but I can not create a second partiton on it. Can I do it in safe mode, since the PC thinks it is being used by something? I tried to restart, but nothing.

renegade X

Yes, everything is okay, because I could do a quick format in Partiton Magic. There is SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION, and a RECYCLER folder (hidden system files).

Update: I succesfully formattted the disk in Safe Mode. Now when I try to partion the drive, after rebooting When it would normally start workin on the HDD all is displayed is "xmnt2002 was not found". WTHeck is that?

pugmug

Banned
Sounds like the drive has bad clusters,can you scan disk it using windows?

crjdriver

Since you converted to ntfs, I am going to assume that you are running win2k or xp. Boot with your CD [cd set as first boot device in the bios] Choose repair from the first menu. Once in the RC use diskpart to delete ALL partitions on the disk. Now run chkdsk /r on the drive and see if it checks out ok. If so, create one or more partitions with diskpart and format with the file system of your choice. Note nt os were designed to use ntfs. It is the native file system and IMO should be used.

I would disconnect your system drive while you do this.

BTW I put very little faith in partitioning apps like PM. The only one I will use to resize an existing disk is acronis disk director.

renegade X

crjdrive was correct by adviseing I use the set up disk. The disk must have had NT with FAT16 on it at one point (I bought it auctioned off). I had been running XP on it, but never had probs till I converted to NTFS.

Note: If I would have placed the NT specific files (ex. NTLDR, and etc.), I prolly would have had less problems. TNX all

BTW. Partiton Magic has never failed me, it has always been good to me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online